wishlist for future versions of the Octane plug in

Forums: wishlist for future versions of the Octane plug in
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: wishlist for future versions of the Octane plug in

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 pm

face_off Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 pm
Make the plug in window adjustable

Have you downloaded 1.02q yet? You can drag the window in that version.

With a materials window, you would be able to drop new materials onto the model and fine tune the look of your work.

I'm not absolutely sure what you are meaning here. Poser has a set of materials for each figure/prop, so "dropping" a new material onto a prop or figure does not provide any way to determine which vertices would be assigned to that material.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby elenacalderas » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 pm

elenacalderas Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 pm
- The render re-starts when the "don't refresh" button is unticked. This is obviously counterproductive, lol. You should be able to lock refresh and unlock it again without affecting the render itself.

- Glossy materials should import with Index set to 0, routinely. Apparently, as of a version ago, Octane now treats the glossy index node as a fresnel node, and any value higher than 1 (default currently is 1.3) kills all specular effects. Maybe the glossy material import should be dependent on the Octane version the user has installed? If it's an older version, import index as 1.3, if it's a newer and/or current version, import index as 0. Is that possible?

- You may also want to reconsider the default (refractive) index of specular materials. 1.3 is good value for normal glass and water. 1.4 and higher usually is glass with lead content, crystals and such. Since Poser users tend to render human figures and architectural glass more often than crystals, the specular materials imported into Octane are more commonly eye corneas and such, which consist of over 90% water, and for which a 1.4 and higher index is too much. I always have to re-set those values manually.

Those are the two things that caught my attention. Sorry if they have been mentioned before. I looked, but it's been a long day at work, lol. Keep up the good work, Paul!

Edit: I just saw that the index question has been addressed in another thread, so just ignore me. XD
Win 10 Home x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB / (Intel i7 2.8 GHz) x8, 16 GB RAM / PoserPro 11.2
elenacalderas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm

face_off Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm
- The render re-starts when the "don't refresh" button is unticked. This is obviously counterproductive, lol. You should be able to lock refresh and unlock it again without affecting the render itself.

I'm not quite sure I understand this point. Is the render restarting when you have the "don't refresh" button activated?

- You may also want to reconsider the default (refractive) index of specular materials. 1.3 is good value for normal glass and water. 1.4 and higher usually is glass with lead content, crystals and such. Since Poser users tend to render human figures and architectural glass more often than crystals, the specular materials imported into Octane are more commonly eye corneas and such, which consist of over 90% water, and for which a 1.4 and higher index is too much. I always have to re-set those values manually.

Good suggestion - let me see if this can be easily done.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby elenacalderas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 am

elenacalderas Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 am
face_off wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand this point. Is the render restarting when you have the "don't refresh" button activated?

No, it continues to render when "don't refresh" is ticked, which is as it should be. It re-starts the render when you untick (or deactivate) the button, even though you don't do anything else. It should just continue the render, unless you do something refresh-worthy in the scene or the plugin. In other words, unticking the "don't refresh" button triggers a refresh. I think it would be better if it didn't. After all, that's what the "restart render" button is for.
Win 10 Home x64 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB / (Intel i7 2.8 GHz) x8, 16 GB RAM / PoserPro 11.2
elenacalderas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 am

face_off Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 am
It re-starts the render when you untick (or deactivate) the button

Ah - OK, I understand now. When the "no updates" button is clicked, the plugin still sends update to OctaneRender, but holds off on the "send this to the render" command. So when you have "no updates" active, Octane Render is still receiving updates, but not acting on them (so they are effectively queued up). When you unclick the "no updates" button, the queue is released, so the render engine receives all the updates that occurred while you had "no updates" clicked, so the render restarts.

So in summary, the "no updates" button queues up the any changes you make until you unclick the "no updates" button. It doesn't actually ignore updates than are made.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby pfrancke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 am

pfrancke Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 am
Camera FOV

When using boxes to hold fog/atmosphere, it's typically important to get the camera outside of the box. So being able to "zoom in" under such circumstances might be helpful.
Windows 7, i7-3930K @3.2, 32GB ram, two 3GB GeForce GTX 580
pfrancke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am

face_off Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am
Camera FOV

When using boxes to hold fog/atmosphere, it's typically important to get the camera outside of the box. So being able to "zoom in" under such circumstances might be helpful.

I think this may already be covered in the plugin. The Octane fov is set via one of the current Poser camera dials (I can't remember which one it is at the moment - away from the computer) - but it's covered in the manual.

Also, you can set the near clip plane in the Octane camera settings - this the amount of distance from the camera geometry is ignored. So if your camera is inside a cube for example, increase the near clip plane so that the cube geometry is ignored.

Pauil
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby elenacalderas » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm

elenacalderas Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm
In the script to compress scene textures, I'd love to have an option to select all, at least by figure/prop.

In the render interface window, for render resolution, it would be great to have the options given by the standalone version, i.e. fixed resolutions for Digital Camera, Power of Two, etc.

Also, is there a reason why replication (scattering) is only possible on props? I'd love to be able to replicate stuff on figures as well. Grass on a Microcosm plane comes to mind, or drops of sweat on a figure.
elenacalderas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm

face_off Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm
In the script to compress scene textures, I'd love to have an option to select all, at least by figure/prop.

I should be able to incorporate this into the next version.

In the render interface window, for render resolution, it would be great to have the options given by the standalone version, i.e. fixed resolutions for Digital Camera, Power of Two, etc.

Good suggestion. I'll see if it can be done.

Also, is there a reason why replication (scattering) is only possible on props? I'd love to be able to replicate stuff on figures as well. Grass on a Microcosm plane comes to mind, or drops of sweat on a figure.

In theory the instance generator could be enhanced to be able to instance only a figure - however it is not a trivial enhancement. If it where possible - it would be the entire figure - so if you added drops of sweat onto a human figure, they would also be instanced onto there eyes, etc, which may not be desirable. You can always export a figure to OBJ and then import as a prop and instance onto the imported prop (you can even make it invisible) - so it's an easy workaround.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 pm

mlru Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 pm
elenacalderas wrote:In the render interface window, for render resolution, it would be great to have the options given by the standalone version, i.e. fixed resolutions for Digital Camera, Power of Two, etc.

And a check-box to constrain the aspect ratio :)
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser