Rendering in Poser Plugin vs Exporting to Stand Alone?

Forums: Rendering in Poser Plugin vs Exporting to Stand Alone?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Rendering in Poser Plugin vs Exporting to Stand Alone?

Postby Petec » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:11 am

Petec Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:11 am
From what I understand there are some lighting features in the current version of Octane stand alone that isn't in the Poser Plugin, specifically a lighting method that clears up a ton faster.

With that in mind, is exporting a Poser scene to render in Octane stand alone worth the trouble if one were looking to lower render times for animations?

Also, are there any other pros/cons to exporting from Poser to Octane stand alone?

Is it a huge pain in the butt to export animations?
Will I need to redo materials or cameras or other settings?
If I need to make changes on the Poser side will I need to start the export process all over again?
Petec
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rendering in Poser Plugin vs Exporting to Stand Alone?

Postby spartan00j » Sun May 05, 2024 4:10 am

spartan00j Sun May 05, 2024 4:10 am
Petec wrote:From what I understand there are some lighting features in the current version of Octane stand alone that isn't in the Poser Plugin, specifically a lighting method that clears up a ton faster.

With that in mind, is exporting a Poser scene to render in Octane stand alone worth the trouble if one were looking to lower render times for animations?

Yes, Rendering in the Standalone will be way faster than through the plug-in.
Also, are there any other pros/cons to exporting from Poser to Octane stand alone?

In my opinion, Rendering in the standalone is more fluent, and better than in the plug-in. Since it's node base UI mostly. I'm able to work faster in the stand alone when tweaking materials, lighting Etc..
Is it a huge pain in the butt to export animations?

It's not a huge pain to export the animation. It's seamless. You will not need to redo materials or cameras or other setting.
Will I need to redo materials or cameras or other settings?

You will not need to redo materials or cameras or other setting. You will see everything in the stand alone as if you see it in the plugin.
If I need to make changes on the Poser side will I need to start the export process all over again?

If you need to make changes with the materials you can make them in the standalone. But If you need to make changes to a model animation. There's a trick to not exporting the entire scene all over again. Just make the model that you're changing invisible in octane Standalone. Save it. Then imposer make your changes to the model. Then re-export to the standalone. But here's the thing. Make everything else invisible. So you're just exporting that one models animation that needs to be changed. Then open up octane standalone. Import the new octane file you just created into your old one. And use a group geometry node to merge the two exported scenes together.

furthermore, using the Standalone has opened up other possibilities for animating. I have developed a pipeline with other animation applications because of octane. I'm able to use the ABC/alembic animated geometry file that the export to Octane standalone produces. And import that file into other applications. Like Houdini or RealFlow further expand my animation quality.
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser