OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2022.1.1 - 302 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2022.1.1 - 302 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2022.1.1 - 302 [OBSOLETE]

Postby toby_a » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm

toby_a Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - TEST (ie. pre-release) releases.

TEST releases contain new features or substantial changes that, while expected to work, have not yet been proven stable.
PLEASE do NOT use them for important work and DO report any issues or suggestions as a reply to this post.

SOLUTIONS TO COMMON ISSUES

1) Make sure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

2) Make sure you are running the latest version of the OctaneRender for DAZStudio plugin.

3) If you experience a DAZStudio crash - deleting C:\Users\[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb may resolve the issue.
This also resolves the "COULD NOT INITIALISE IN-MEMORY DB!" error on startup and a number of other issues.

4) If the Save button is disabled when using the Final button - disable the Final button and in Render settings select the SuperScope (2:1) Size / aspect ratio and drag the Viewport height or width until you reach required resolution.

5) If rendering an animation fails after 11 frames - make sure the DAZStudio viewport is visible when you render the animation.

6) If Octane materials are not loading when you load a previously saved scene - tick Preferences->Load OctaneRender materials from .duf user presets. If ticking this option does not stick between DAZStudio restarts, delete OctaneRender_settings.oczdb as per NOTE 3 above.

7) If you get a "Could not save a frame for X times!" - please search the forum for potential solutions.

8) If you get a "Bogus Scene Path" error - this is due to having an apostrophe in the filepath of a texturemap (so store your textures in foldernames which do not have apostrophes).

9) Octane panel title bar is off the screen and cannot be closed - click anywhere on the Octane panel and then press Alt-F4.

10) Rendering animation results in the scene emitter intensities changing - this is because rendering animations is done in "Final" mode, where meshes are merged. To resolve this, UNTICK the Preferences->Use Combined Mesh, or ENABLE the Surface Brightness pin on each of the emission materials in the scene.

11) Denoiser is not working - make sure you have a graphics card selected for Denoising in the System tab->Open Device Settings window, and that you are using the Path Tracing kernel.

12) Render artifacts near eyebrows - this is due to the eyebrow geometry going inside the head mesh surface. So morph, move or scale the eyebrows so they do not intersect with the head mesh.

13) Octane panes do not appear on the screen (ie. they open off the screen) - Main Menu Bar->Window->Workspace->Select Layout->Accept (you might choose a different layout to the current layout to make this work).

KNOWN ISSUES AWAITING RESOLUTION

1) Panoramic camera and OSL nodes are not currently supported.
2) Templating is not currently working for specular and roughness maps from Iray materials. - FIXED (please report any issues)
3) UDIM Tiles are not currently supported. - FIXED (please report any issues)
4) Some of the newer OctaneRender material and texture types are not supported. - FIXED (please report any issues)
5) VDB volume and volumetric spotlight nodes are not currently supported.

DAZ Studio Version
DAZ Studio 4.8 or later on Windows 8, 10 or 11 64bit

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.5 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped.
Also, make sure you use an Nvidia Studio driver of version 456.38 or higher.

Network Rendering

For Network Rendering, you must use the OctaneRender Studio+ Node release from the Octane Standalone forums/download page which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Studio+ 2022.1.1 Render Node builds.

Support Issues
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win 8, 10, 11)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- DAZ Studio version
- OctaneRender for DAZ Studio version (e.g. 2022.1.1_302) and subscription type (Studio+/Prime)

- The most important part of resolving a problem is being able to reproduce that problem. So pls provide as much detail as possible in order for me to do this, and if the problem is specific to the scene, send me the scene.

Changes since 2022.1.1 - 301

• Fixed some issues with saving and loading scenes containing duplicated nodes
  • Fixed a crash caused by deleting an Octane material from the DAZ Studio Scene tab
  • Fixed a case where changes in the scene were not picked up following clearing the scene using File->New

Changes since 2022.1.1 - 212

• Redesigned material node value animation

This version includes a complete redesign of the way material properties can be animated. In previous versions, there was a way to define animations for material nodes in the node editor, but this did not work properly and has been removed.

Please see the announcement post for version 2022.1.1_301 (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=81456) for details.

Download Links

Please feel free to report any issues you encounter.

Happy rendering
Your OTOY team
Last edited by toby_a on Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2022.1.1 - 302 [TEST]

Postby RGUS » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:28 pm

RGUS Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:28 pm
Hi,
I don't know if this is a fault with Octane or DAZ Studio, but since it only happens when I use the material picker from the Octane Render Viewport, I'm guessing it may be Octance.

So... what happens is...
- The "Tool" tabs in Daz Studio are placed to the right. (see the first image attached)
- I open the Octane Render Viewport, select the "Material Picker" icon, and select a surface in the scene. (see the second image attached)
- Upon picking the surface in the Viewport, the DAZ Studio tabs jump to the top automatically. (see the third image attached)

The only way to get the DAZ tabs back to the right is by toggling "Window" "Workspace" "Orient tabs Along Top" ... on and off

This only occurs when using the Material Picker icon from the Octane Render Viewport.

Or... I'm just doing something really stupid. :)
Attachments
tab_switch_001.jpg
tab_switch_002.jpg
tab_switch_003.jpg
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SiliconAya » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:05 am

SiliconAya Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:05 am
Somewhere between 210 and 302 (I skipped 211), a lot of the options in the right click menu in the NGE stopped working, either when clicking a node or the background. When clicking a node, cut, copy and delete no longer work and collapse and collapse inputs both seem a lot slower (based on my limited testing), both of those options used to be close to instant and now using them on the default auto generated skin material takes about 9 seconds. When clicking the background of the NGE, neither of the import options work or the arrange all nodes options.
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sudisk » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:42 am

sudisk Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:42 am
Hello,

About the texture animation rework, you should add in the documentation that for being to be able to see the keyframes in the timeline, the "Other" keyframe type must be selected (see attachment)

Here are a few errors that I found in the test builds (301 and 302)

The copy/paste node function in the NGE seems broken. The copy/paste context menu entries still show, but do nothing. Only the keyboard shortcuts respond.

When selecting multiple nodes and pressing <ctrl>-c, I get the delete nodes confirmation message.

The delete context menu entry doesn't do anything either anymore.

Also, the keyboard capture weird behavior present in previous builds still persists. When working on a scene with the live viewport open, sometimes clicking in a value box to type a new value does nothing, but if the key pressed matches a DAZ shortcut (like the <del> key or the numeric keypad dot to cycle tools) the DAZ shortcut is used. The only way to circumvent this issue is to click somewhere in the live viewport (in the render area) and then the expected functionality is back for a while.
This is particularly bothering when the <del> key is pressed because it deletes the active scene object in the DAZ scene tab, which is usually the one you're working on. The <crtl>-z action doesn't restore Octane materials though, and it is needed to reconnect them all one by one.
Attachments
TimelineTypes.JPG
TimelineTypes.JPG (13.79 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2022.1.1 - 302 [OBSOLETE]

Postby toby_a » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:05 am

toby_a Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:05 am
I've released a new TEST version that fixes the problem with the context menu in the node graph editor: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=81500
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby toby_a » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:31 am

toby_a Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:31 am
RGUS wrote:Hi,
I don't know if this is a fault with Octane or DAZ Studio, but since it only happens when I use the material picker from the Octane Render Viewport, I'm guessing it may be Octance.

So... what happens is...
- The "Tool" tabs in Daz Studio are placed to the right. (see the first image attached)
- I open the Octane Render Viewport, select the "Material Picker" icon, and select a surface in the scene. (see the second image attached)
- Upon picking the surface in the Viewport, the DAZ Studio tabs jump to the top automatically. (see the third image attached)

I can reproduce this, it's really weird. It only happens when the pane group containing the plugin's pane is undocked. I have no idea what I can do about this - all the plugin is doing is requesting that its pane be shown. It looks like a bug in DAZ Studio at the moment.

RGUS wrote:The only way to get the DAZ tabs back to the right is by toggling "Window" "Workspace" "Orient tabs Along Top" ... on and off

I found I could also select Pane Group -> Tabs Right again (even though it is already checked).
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby toby_a » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:43 am

toby_a Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:43 am
sudisk wrote:About the texture animation rework, you should add in the documentation that for being to be able to see the keyframes in the timeline, the "Other" keyframe type must be selected (see attachment)

Ah yes, that is a good point. I'd forgotten how long it took me to figure this out. There isn't really any documentation for this feature (or any of the recent features of the plugin).

What do you think about the idea of automatically enabling the "Other" property type when creating a material node property?

sudisk wrote:Also, the keyboard capture weird behavior present in previous builds still persists. When working on a scene with the live viewport open, sometimes clicking in a value box to type a new value does nothing, but if the key pressed matches a DAZ shortcut (like the <del> key or the numeric keypad dot to cycle tools) the DAZ shortcut is used. The only way to circumvent this issue is to click somewhere in the live viewport (in the render area) and then the expected functionality is back for a while.
This is particularly bothering when the <del> key is pressed because it deletes the active scene object in the DAZ scene tab, which is usually the one you're working on. The <crtl>-z action doesn't restore Octane materials though, and it is needed to reconnect them all one by one.

I made some improvements to this behavior a while ago but I'm not surprised it is still there in some cases. I'll try to fix more instances as I encounter them. It's unfortunate that undoing the deletion of an object from the scene doesn't reconnect the materials. Integrating better with the undo system is on the list of things to do - it is a big job, however.

Thanks for the feedback.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to DAZ Studio