OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 83 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 83 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.6 - 83 [Test]

Postby Zay » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Zay Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:27 pm
SiliconAya wrote:I noticed a big drop in render speed.

Is anyone else seeing this?

There is a drop when using denoising. For me there is about a 15% drop measured with Ms/sec when "Denoise on completion" is on. But not 40%. But I can see rendering will take longer if "Denoise on completion" is off as it would denoise more often through the rendering.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby apollyonpt » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:58 pm

apollyonpt Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:58 pm
When importing any orbx/ocs, it doesn't import the mesh just materials/camera/env/render settings.
i can import just fine in cinema4d/blender
apollyonpt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sudisk » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:48 pm

sudisk Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:48 pm
SiliconAya wrote:I've never noticed this before, but today when I turned on denoising (this was the first time I've used it since updating to this version), I noticed a big drop in render speed. So after it finished I did a quick test. I loaded a single G8.1F into a new scene, set the render kernel to Path tracing, set the samples to 8000 and render size to viewport.

I ran the render a few times both with and without denoising turned on, with desoising off render times were 60 to 61 seconds, with denoising on render times went up to 86 to 87 seconds, that's about a 40% increase. I'd like to think I would have noticed such a large decrease in speed previously as I use denoising all the time, but I can't say for certain that's it's new to this version.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I can confirm that. I Tested a scene with a single G3 and some environment, props and lights. The scene rendered in 6'12" with denoiser enabled, and in 5'17" without it.
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:19 pm

toby_a Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:19 pm
apollyonpt wrote:When importing any orbx/ocs, it doesn't import the mesh just materials/camera/env/render settings.
i can import just fine in cinema4d/blender

Yes, that's right, geometry import is currently not possible. A workaround might be to open the scene in Octane Standalone and export the geometry to one of the formats that Daz can import (FBX or OBJ, I guess).

Geometry import is a planned feature, but I'm not sure exactly when we'll get to it.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Background » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:29 pm

Background Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:29 pm
Hi,
When running install I'm not seeing the option to choose which directory to install into. I want to install it in a DAZ Public Build folder.
Background
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:10 am

toby_a Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:10 am
Background wrote:Hi,
When running install I'm not seeing the option to choose which directory to install into. I want to install it in a DAZ Public Build folder.

Hi there. The installer only allows installation to one location at a time, so if you already have the plugin installed it doesn't ask you for the location. You can change the location by first uninstalling the plugin using Settings -> Apps and features, then running the installer again.

If you want to use the plugin in two different locations at the same time (for example if you want to use two different versions of Daz Studio) then the installer can't help you. What you can do in that situation is to install into one of the Daz locations and then manually copy the installed files to the other Daz location. The files are:

• octane.dll
  • octane.dat
  • OctaneACM.exe
  • octane_helper.dll
  • FreeImage.dll
  • plugins\OctaneRender\plordazs.dll

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Background » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:07 am

Background Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:07 am
Toby,

That's excellent information. I'm very grateful for your fast and helpful reply.

Best Regards

Ian
Background
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:34 pm

rajib Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:34 pm
Thank you Toby for the progress you have made with this plugin. Frankly after years of neglect I finally feel the Daz Octane Plugin is being looked after. In fact because of the long neglect I had lost interest in the Octane plugin. But I had recently logged in hoping at least some progress was being made and was very surprised with the amount of progress you have made. Thank you for that. And as the progress has been a lot, I will get back to testing the releases and listing the bugs I find.

Some of the issues I have highlight over the years seems to have been resolved. Specially the big ones like :
1. Wrong pose orientation at load - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72407&start=10#p372978. - Thank you. With this version, I can attest all my scenes (and I had many of them where some object loaded with wrong orientation) are now correctly loading and all object orientations are correct. I don't need to do a Rebuild Scene anymore to fix them.

2. Visible environment - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72407&start=10#p377687. Thank you for this. It really allows me to light up the scene with one of my favorite HDRIs that has amazing light quality and then use other HDRI for the visible environment.

3. Thank you for the environment deletion list. I had asked for that a long time ago and though Paul had added the deletion button it was a pain to use when there were a lot of environments imported for the scene. Your current implementation makes it a breeze to delete the old and not needed environments. Btw. there are a couple of bugs I found in it:

i) I see multiple 'Output' nodes/environments listed in the list. Attempting to delete them resulting in a crash. I think those are internal to Octane. Can they be hidden from the list so that no one accidentally attempts to delete causing a crash ?
EnvironmentList-NameNotSeen.jpg
Output nodes in the Environment Deletion List

ii) Also in the above Image, the name in the drop down HDR Texture Environment - HyperfocalDesign (2) (2) (2) (2)... is not listed in the deletion list with same name. One of the HDR Texture Environment - HyperfocalDesign in the list refers to it. Making it difficult to figure out which one is the current one. Can the current one be made bold or italics in the list so that it is not deleted by accident or at least it allows us to see which one is the current one as the name does not seem to match up.

iii) Can the multiple No Environment list be also cleared ? This is shown when one clicks on the Environment Selection drop down.
MultipleNoEnvironmentListing.jpg
Multiple No Environment listed in the drop down.

4. Thank you for adding all the missing Node types, specially the Material Layered Group node.

Issues :
Can you fix this long standing bug - If the image file path has an & character, Daz can load the image, but the Octane plugin cannot. That is actually a valid character for Windows file path.
SpecialCharaterCausesTheFileNotToLoad-Jacket.jpg
Special character causes file not to load in Octane. Here Daz shows the Jacket, but Octane does not.

SpecialCharaterCausesTheFileNotToLoad-Jacket-NGE-PathMissing.jpg
NGE - The Image path is not set because of the special character

5. For the unfold, you could merge the duplicates ? Or maybe give us an option in the Octane preferences to either merge duplicates when unfolding or not. Btw. regarding unfolding, can you check if you are able to unfold the Color Correction node ? I had assigned a Falloff map as input but if I unfold the Color Correction node, it does not unfold.
FallOffMapWillNotUnfold.jpg
Falloff map will not unfold from a Color Correction node when clicking Smart unfold.

Also, can you please take a look at the this thread where I had listed many of the bugs / issues I had found before - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72407.

I will continue my testing and report on other bugs/issues I find.

Best regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huakiami » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:22 pm

huakiami Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:22 pm
Hi Rajib -

Welcome back to Octane for DS :).

rajib wrote:Issues :
Can you fix this long standing bug - If the image file path has an & character, Daz can load the image, but the Octane plugin cannot. That is actually a valid character for Windows file path.

This bug should be fixed as of 2021.1.5 - 70 (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=80166)

Can you confirm you're still having this issue when you save and load a new scene?
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:23 am

toby_a Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:23 am
rajib wrote:Thank you Toby for the progress you have made with this plugin. Frankly after years of neglect I finally feel the Daz Octane Plugin is being looked after. In fact because of the long neglect I had lost interest in the Octane plugin. But I had recently logged in hoping at least some progress was being made and was very surprised with the amount of progress you have made. Thank you for that. And as the progress has been a lot, I will get back to testing the releases and listing the bugs I find.

Thank you for taking the time to document these issues, I really appreciate it!

rajib wrote:Some of the issues I have highlight over the years seems to have been resolved. Specially the big ones like :
1. Wrong pose orientation at load - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72407&start=10#p372978. - Thank you. With this version, I can attest all my scenes (and I had many of them where some object loaded with wrong orientation) are now correctly loading and all object orientations are correct. I don't need to do a Rebuild Scene anymore to fix them.

2. Visible environment - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72407&start=10#p377687. Thank you for this. It really allows me to light up the scene with one of my favorite HDRIs that has amazing light quality and then use other HDRI for the visible environment.

3. Thank you for the environment deletion list. I had asked for that a long time ago and though Paul had added the deletion button it was a pain to use when there were a lot of environments imported for the scene. Your current implementation makes it a breeze to delete the old and not needed environments. Btw. there are a couple of bugs I found in it:

i) I see multiple 'Output' nodes/environments listed in the list. Attempting to delete them resulting in a crash. I think those are internal to Octane. Can they be hidden from the list so that no one accidentally attempts to delete causing a crash ?

That's definitely a bug, possibly related to the issues of the names in the deletion list not matching exactly the names in the selection list.

rajib wrote:ii) Also in the above Image, the name in the drop down HDR Texture Environment - HyperfocalDesign (2) (2) (2) (2)... is not listed in the deletion list with same name. One of the HDR Texture Environment - HyperfocalDesign in the list refers to it. Making it difficult to figure out which one is the current one. Can the current one be made bold or italics in the list so that it is not deleted by accident or at least it allows us to see which one is the current one as the name does not seem to match up.

Highlighting the current environment is a great idea, I'll add that to my list of improvements.

rajib wrote:iii) Can the multiple No Environment list be also cleared ? This is shown when one clicks on the Environment Selection drop down.

The problem with these duplicate No Environment entries is that they are classified as "Factory Presets". I fixed the problem that was causing them to be created in the first place, but allowing their deletion is potentially tricky. I'll have a look into it.

rajib wrote:4. Thank you for adding all the missing Node types, specially the Material Layered Group node.

Issues :

As huakiami said, I thought that issue was fixed in build 70. Does fixing the texture then re-saving the scene make the problem go away?

rajib wrote:5. For the unfold, you could merge the duplicates ? Or maybe give us an option in the Octane preferences to either merge duplicates when unfolding or not. Btw. regarding unfolding, can you check if you are able to unfold the Color Correction node ? I had assigned a Falloff map as input but if I unfold the Color Correction node, it does not unfold.

I recently removed the merging behavior of "Smart Unfold" because it was buggy and I think it was overly enthusiastic about what it was merging. Can you say a bit more about your workflow to help me understand what you want the merging for? For example, how do you end up with duplicates in the first place?

As for why the Falloff map is not being expanded, I think it's falling afoul of the logic used to determine whether it's worth expanding. In this case, the Falloff map fails the test because all of its inputs are "values" (enums and ints). I guess that it would make sense to always expand nodes with a texture output.

rajib wrote:Also, can you please take a look at the this thread where I had listed many of the bugs / issues I had found before - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=72407.

I will have a read through that, thanks.

rajib wrote:I will continue my testing and report on other bugs/issues I find.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio