Instances help

Forums: Instances help
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Instances help

Postby p3taotoy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:18 pm

p3taotoy Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:18 pm
Gidday,
Kinda new to Daz and finding my way around. First of all great job on the plugin... as you will no doubt gather from my question... coder I am not... so when I say I think you have done a hell of a job considering Daz does not seem like any other 3D app (Maya, Blender, Max, Cinema etc.) and from my limited knowledge it seems like you must have done a lot of background coding just to link the elements together to get it to run as smoothly as you have. For what its worth... well done and thanks.

Oh yeah my question : > )

Exporting an orbx file works seamlessly and I open it up in the standalone and looks great....
If I try an export an FBX or OBJ none of the instances seem to get exported. (Is that a Daz setting?)

Is there a script that would generate a 'scatter coordinates file' that I can hook up different (trees, grass clumps etc) or one in the ORBX (its a huge number of nodes) so if I export OBJ or FBX I can rehook up the instances based in Daz's original location etc.

Thanks

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Instances help

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:20 am

face_off Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:20 am
If I try an export an FBX or OBJ none of the instances seem to get exported. (Is that a Daz setting?)
I have never tried exporting as OBJ/FBX, so I am not sure, sorry.

Is there a script that would generate a 'scatter coordinates file' that I can hook up different (trees, grass clumps etc) or one in the ORBX (its a huge number of nodes) so if I export OBJ or FBX I can rehook up the instances based in Daz's original location etc.
This is theory should be possible using DazScript, or a plugin. I suggest you post this question on the DAZ3D forums, as someone there may have done it.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby p3taotoy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:18 pm

p3taotoy Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:18 pm
Thanks Paul,
It seems though when you export an ORB file all the instances are created....

I am assuming you reference their position somehow and great a 'placement/scatter' node for them then hook up a single mesh file...
or
does your orbx converter place a "new" mesh file at every location?

Would that not make the files huge in size?

I'll check out daz forums for the fbx/obj stuff.... but what does your exporter create when it make mesh node? id is OBJ or something Octane file only type of thing?

Thanks

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:17 am

face_off Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:17 am
Hi Peter, the DAZStudio plugin creates a Scatter node (with all the instance transforms) in Octane for rendering. Then when you export as ORBX, the Octane API packages up all the geometry and saves it as an ABC file, so I'm unclear if the scatter transforms are retained or not.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby p3taotoy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 am

p3taotoy Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 am
Cool Paul thanks for the explanation?

I'll dig around the DAZ forums and let you know if I find anything helpful about FBX and OBJ etc.

Keep up the good work man

Thanks

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio