OctaneRender 2020 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2020 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender 2020 for DAZ Studio [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:00 am

face_off Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:00 am
Another thing, which urgently needs to be added to OCDS is the Layer Material / Layer Group pin.
Working with this new Random Walk SSS is only viable, if one also has the opportunity to layer it with other layer nodes, in order to accurately simulate human skin.

This has been a feature since release 2019. Is there any chance, that this will be added in the near future, with OCDS 2020?
This really needs the Octane API changed - as the current material layer system is not well suited to some of the plugin UI's - particularly the DAZStudio plugin. If there was a Group Layer node with just 2 layer inputs, that would solve the problem, since then users could nest these nodes to combine any number of layers. So if it's an important feature you need in the DAZStudio plugin, please submit a request to OTOY for it.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:44 am

face_off Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:44 am
Hair Material shader seems to be missing an Opacity pin.
There is no Opacity pin on the Hair Material in Octane Standalone. If you need this pin, can you please request it in the Octane Standalone 2020.1 XB1 release thread.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby osiosiosi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:10 pm

osiosiosi Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:10 pm
Ok ... now i want to make a general suggestion @Paul

What is bothering me all the time is the "situation" inside MATERIALS section and some other gui stuff...

For example:

1. If i click a material in "Scene Surfaces" it does highlight it in "Octane Render Materials" - which is nice. However ... it would be even more usefull if it scroled the left row to its position. The way its working now i have to search till i find it.
2. I would imagine color labels as a usefull thing inside those two rows
3. I find it also usefull if one could change common values of many selected materials at once. Lets say i select and highlight 10 random materials. All have different things inside but all have a "Transmission" setting. Now i would find it great if i changed the transmission to, lets say 255/255/255 and it would change for all those 10 materials at once.
4. I would wish that the NGE always would be showing the highlighted material. Its a waste of time to click over and over again on "Nodegraph Editor". Sometimes i forget which materials is active while editing the wrong one :-/
5. Speaking of the Nodegraph Editor - What i am missing here is the possibility to save own combinations of nodes. When i do converting stuff i usually have to add RGB Image nodes - texture displacement nodes - scaling nodes and so on. Usually its the same combimation but since i cant save a bunch of nodes i have to add them all by one over and over again.
- What would be a really fantastic feature is if there was a "auto add button". Lets say i have a diffuse map inside the materials but there are also normals spec roughness .... located inside the folder of the diff map. What if i could click a button and NGE would search the folder for those equally named and add the nodes itself? ... but yeah thats surely complicated ...
6. What is really really bothering me is the materail picker itself. Its a super usefull feature with 2 big flaws.
1- It crashed whole daz sometimes when i click on a material to choose. This happens in about 2-3% of the times i use it. It also happens for other ppl. No idea why and when exactly this occurs.
2. If it works it shows the material in "Octane Render Materials" and "Scene Surfaces" but hides everything else. Why the hell does it have to hide all other stuff?
7. The Surface material filter ... Why is this still a thing?
8. The "Textures" Tab... personally i dont use this at all .. but i get why this might be usefull. Sadly it makes my DAZ usually crash when i hit it by mistake. This happens especially in scenes with many textures loaded. No idea if this happens only for me ...

Would be nice to get feedback if any of this things can be changed/ implemented in future.

:-D

P.S. Still no render queue ? :-D
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:51 am

face_off Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:51 am
Hi

1. If i click a material in "Scene Surfaces" it does highlight it in "Octane Render Materials" - which is nice. However ... it would be even more usefull if it scroled the left row to its position. The way its working now i have to search till i find it.
I think this would be difficult as there can be more than one OctaneRender Material selected, so the plugin wouldn't know which to scroll to.

2. I would imagine color labels as a usefull thing inside those two rows
I don't understand what you mean be this suggestion.

3. I find it also usefull if one could change common values of many selected materials at once. Lets say i select and highlight 10 random materials. All have different things inside but all have a "Transmission" setting. Now i would find it great if i changed the transmission to, lets say 255/255/255 and it would change for all those 10 materials at once.
Yes, I agree - this would be amazing. But I think it would be difficult to incorporate into the current UI. More fully features DCC's (such as Modo) has this feature in the Octane plugin.

4. I would wish that the NGE always would be showing the highlighted material. Its a waste of time to click over and over again on "Nodegraph Editor". Sometimes i forget which materials is active while editing the wrong one :-/
This is implemented in the next version.

5. Speaking of the Nodegraph Editor - What i am missing here is the possibility to save own combinations of nodes. When i do converting stuff i usually have to add RGB Image nodes - texture displacement nodes - scaling nodes and so on. Usually its the same combimation but since i cant save a bunch of nodes i have to add them all by one over and over again.

6. What is really really bothering me is the materail picker itself. Its a super usefull feature with 2 big flaws.
1- It crashed whole daz sometimes when i click on a material to choose. This happens in about 2-3% of the times i use it. It also happens for other ppl. No idea why and when exactly this occurs.
2. If it works it shows the material in "Octane Render Materials" and "Scene Surfaces" but hides everything else. Why the hell does it have to hide all other stuff?
Yes, I had it crash and I inspected the code in the debugger, but it looks like a threading issue (either the plugin, or QT or the DAZStudio API). I was not able to fix it. Regarding the hiding of the other stuff - I think this was intended as a feature. When you material pick, to shows you the material AND the geometry item. Select "All Objects" to see all objects after picking. This behavior can be changed if everyone thinks it should be done.

7. The Surface material filter ... Why is this still a thing?
It's blank by default now, and I can remove it altogether if users think it should go.

8. The "Textures" Tab... personally i dont use this at all .. but i get why this might be usefull. Sadly it makes my DAZ usually crash when i hit it by mistake. This happens especially in scenes with many textures loaded. No idea if this happens only for me ...
I haven't had it crash. If you can give me an exact sequence of step to get the crash, I can take a look.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sorel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:13 am

Sorel Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:13 am
Paul, would it be possible for you to reach out to otoy to provide an update on the daz octane features? I know you have stated a major rework of the plugin would be needed and that you have been informing them of what can't be implemented. I know I personally, and I think others have sent otoy emails with these types of questions, but I personally have not had a reply from them for months, and I dont know if anyone else has heard anything either.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 am

face_off Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 am
I have updated the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Fixed crash when clicking the top right menu of the main plugin window
- The NodeGraph Editor now updates to the selected Octane material if a material is selected from Materials tab

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rajib » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am

rajib Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am
face_off wrote:
Hair Material shader seems to be missing an Opacity pin.
There is no Opacity pin on the Hair Material in Octane Standalone. If you need this pin, can you please request it in the Octane Standalone 2020.1 XB1 release thread.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. I have requested it in the 2020.1 XB1 thread.
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SiliconAya » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 am

SiliconAya Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 am
I'm getting the same issues TRRazor with regards to opacity and hair caps with RTX on.

I'm also seeing seams between UDIM tiles, however I'm seeing it with both the new random walk and "normal/legacy" scattering nodes, my skin material that's worked fine in Octane 4 and 2019.1 now has seams unless I disconnect the scattering node.

Any chance of us getting the new Spectron lights? I was hoping they wouldn't be hard to put in the plugin, as I was really looking forward to having some real non-mesh based lights.
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:58 pm

TRRazor Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:58 pm
SiliconAya wrote:I'm getting the same issues TRRazor with regards to opacity and hair caps with RTX on.

I'm also seeing seams between UDIM tiles, however I'm seeing it with both the new random walk and "normal/legacy" scattering nodes, my skin material that's worked fine in Octane 4 and 2019.1 now has seams unless I disconnect the scattering node.

Any chance of us getting the new Spectron lights? I was hoping they wouldn't be hard to put in the plugin, as I was really looking forward to having some real non-mesh based lights.

Yeah, I'm also still getting them. Already escalated the issue directly to Otoy and hope that they can identify and fix the problem. I do remember that this was an issue back, when Octane changed from V2 to V3. Took them a while to identify and get it fixed back then. Fingers crossed, that it will be faster this time.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rajib » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:49 am

rajib Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:49 am
Hi Paul,

Hair Material Opacity has been added to the 2020.1 XB2. Can we get a plugin build against the XB 2 with the Hair Material Opacity enabled ?

Thanks and regards,
Rajib
Windows 10 Pro i9-9980XE 128GB RAM|4 x Titan RTX
Houdini 18.5(2020.2.1.2)|Cinema C4D R26|Daz Studio Pro 4.21.0.5(Octane 2021.1.6.83)
NVIDIA 460.89 Studio Standard
rajib
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio