Question about material copying

Forums: Question about material copying
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Question about material copying

Postby scaron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 pm

scaron Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 pm
Hey guys,

This question I guess is more aimed at T_3, but I figured I would post it to the more general audience since I maybe overlooking something.

Is there a way to copy just the material parameters minus any texture maps from one material and add it to another similar material? I'm thinking skin here, with all the different zones. Head, torso, limbs, etc. I hate comparing plugins however in the reality plugin you are able to copy just the numerical parameters without the texturemaps and apply those to another similar texture, for instance adjusting roughness on skinface using glossy material and then copying those numerical settings over to another glossy material set for skinhead, but not replacing the texturemap which for skinhead I believe uses skintorso. Or is that something I have to do by hand for each material zone?

Hope that makes sense.
Win7 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | 12GB Ram| Geforce GTX 550Ti| CUDA 5.01
scaron
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Question about material copying

Postby larsmidnatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 pm

larsmidnatt Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 pm
You can copy and paste materials. Or you can copy and paste the settings to another material. But as you mention it will override your textures.

A feature to copy and paste just the values would be an ok addition, it would have to check to make sure the material types are the same of course(like reality).

But I think Octane materials are potentially a lot more complex than what is Reality so it may not be as simple. (i haven't used reality in a long time, so I don't know if they expanded it since last year, and I am ok not really knowing ;)). But in Octane any solution would probably have to handle all the nodes that are connected to the material, or they would at least need consideration? Even two diffuse nodes don't necessarily have all the same inputs, so consideration would need to be placed there. Not that a solution isn't possible.

But in the short term It may be easier to just change the texture maps after a copy paste since it may only be two settings you need to change instead of maybe 5 or 6. I just punch the settings into the three zones by hand , only takes a few seconds, but if working with a lot of people I can see it add up.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby scaron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 pm

scaron Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 pm
Ok, that is pretty much what I figured and my procedure is similar to the one you mention. On top of that with the plugin consolidating the materials down to only a handful that are reused by different zones, it's not that big of an issue if at all. ;)
Win7 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | 12GB Ram| Geforce GTX 550Ti| CUDA 5.01
scaron
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 pm

larsmidnatt Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 pm
i agree its not too bad because of how the materials are consolidated! The consolidation system makes things very quick over all.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio