Multiple Decals on Object

Forums: Multiple Decals on Object
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Multiple Decals on Object

Postby TomDowd » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 am

TomDowd Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 am
Has anyone figured out an easy way to do multiple decals on an object? I figure I can do it with geoshells, but building eight of them (one for each decal) is a pain. Any ideas?

TomD
TomDowd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Multiple Decals on Object

Postby huakiami » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:45 am

huakiami Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:45 am
Hi TomD,

There are a lot of ways to do this, but it will vary depending on the effect you're trying to achieve. A Geo Shell can be a great method, particularly if you don't want your decals to combine with the material they're on top of. You shouldn't need to use a separate Geo Shell for each decal though - you can combine them all in the material of a single Geo Shell.

Here is an example where I put the three decals on a brick wall. The first decal is a red number 1, the second is a green number 2, and the third a blue number 3. Each decal is a colored PNG image of the number with a transparent background.

decal_example_01.jpg
Three decals on a Geo Shell of the brick wall object.

Below is the node setup of the Geo Shell. Basically each decal PNG is loaded twice - once as an RGBA Image used for the opacity and masking and secondly as a regular RGB Image for the diffuse color. It doesn't have to be 3 decals - you could follow this pattern indefinitely for any number of decal images you want to add.

decal_node_setup.jpg
Node setup for three layered decals.

Now the render above is fine if I wanted the numbers to be three plastic signs someone hung on the wall. But what if I want it to be more like paint? Well in that case I wouldn't use a Geo Shell at all - I would just add the same decal node setup from the screenshot above to my brick wall material and use the combined RGBA nodes for the 'Amount' input of a Mix Material instead of a Geo Shell's opacity. Then I can easily use the brick AO, normal and displacement maps for both the brick material AND my decal material. Getting something like this -

decal_example_02.jpg
No Geo Shell. Three decals added to the brick wall material and combined with its AO, Normal and Displacement maps.

Or also multiply the decal color with the brick color for an even more blended look -

decal_example_03.png

Now if I wanted the decals combined instead of on top of each other we can do that too -

decal_example_04.jpg

So it really depends exactly what you're trying to do. But in all the examples above I used that same node setup for combining the decal images. So long as your decal is an image with a transparent background or you have at least some way to mask where you want it to show you should not need to stack Geo Shells. Which is good because if you have G8F at 3 or 4 levels of subdivision and then start stacking Geo Shells on her performance tanks pretty quickly.

-Matt
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Multiple Decals on Object

Postby Tugpsx » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:26 am

Tugpsx Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:26 am
Awesome tutorial thanks for sharing.
Dell Win Vista 32 | NVIDIA Quadro NVS135M | Core2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz | 4GB
CyberPowerPC Win 7 64| NVIDIA GTX660Ti (3G) GTX480(1.5G) | 16GB
Tugpsx
Licensed Customer