Loading Background Image programatically

Forums: Loading Background Image programatically
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Loading Background Image programatically

Postby gustojunk » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:21 am

gustojunk Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:21 am
Hi there, we are trying to automate our studio´s rendering workflow as much as possible. We already figure out how to automate almost everything related to octane except the "load background image" which currently seems to be manually set up by right clicking on Settings tree each time we need to recover a properly setup rendering. The rest of the setting are easily recovered using "snapshots".

Is it any way we are missing that makes this background loading process scriptable? we do have python skills if necessary.

I can figure out two solution to our current problem that could be implemented in future releases.
- One is to include background image in the RenderTarget settings. Once the render scene is setup, we could easily recover the settings using Rhino´s "Snapshots", including the background image, which currently is not saved in the RenderTarget settings.
- The second solution that comes to my mind is that "Load Background Image" method would be exposed not only as a context menu option, but also as a Rhino command, since Rhino command are easily scriptable. So it would be great if "Load Background Image" method would be implemented also as a Rhino Command.

As I said, this in the only step that the current implementation forces user interaction each time we need recover a configured scene.

Thanks
Attachments
Anotación 2020-06-03 035844.png
Last edited by gustojunk on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gustojunk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Loading Background Image programatically

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:19 am

face_off Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:19 am
I think the best option is to add a Rhino command to set the background image. I will look at this for the next release.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby gustojunk » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm

gustojunk Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Great to hear this Paul, thanks! <fingers crossed>

I assume that there is no way to call this method using Python , at least I didn't found nothing... Could you please confirm this point?

Finally, do you know approximately when could happen the next release (I'm aware that you didn't promise nothing, I'm asking just to have an idea)

thanks!!
gustojunk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:10 pm

face_off Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:10 pm
I assume that there is no way to call this method using Python , at least I didn't found nothing... Could you please confirm this point?
Octane does not actually paint the background image onto the render image - this is done via the plugin, so all happens at the RhinoCommon end, and not the lower level Octane wrapper point. So you are right, this cannot be done using python.

Finally, do you know approximately when could happen the next release (I'm aware that you didn't promise nothing, I'm asking just to have an idea)
I have a major change in the Rhino plugin waiting to be released (support for the Octane Area and Point Lights), which relies on the next version of Octane. So my best guess is that the next version of the Rhino plugin would be available in the next 2'ish weeks.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:02 am

v-cube Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:02 am
I have a major change in the Rhino plugin waiting to be released (support for the Octane Area and Point Lights), which relies on the next version of Octane. So my best guess is that the next version of the Rhino plugin would be available in the next 2'ish weeks.

:D :D :D

that really sounds interesting!

thanks!

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gustojunk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:19 am