help with mapping

Forums: help with mapping
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

help with mapping

Postby alfabruce » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:56 am

alfabruce Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:56 am
Hi Everyone,

just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some mapping info. I cant find any info in the rhino octane v3 manual on mapping textures and there doesnt seem to be any in the standalone manual either.

Ive been trying to work it out with simple boxes but they seem to be different each time.

looking at the examples ive included here, im using the box mapping for both and trying to get the image to fit the box with no scaling. One the yellow sunset, i have increased the x and y scale in the box projection xyz transformations to almost 450 times to get it to fit.

one the other blue and hwite cloud, ive had to drop the scale down to .017 order.

Is this due to the overall size of the actual object in mm?

if so , is there a way to override this scale vs size of the bitmap.

What does the coordinate space choice do when changing between world, object and local.

An I best off adjusting the map scale inthe box mapping scale sliders or up in the uv transform scale sliders.

Is there a recommended work flow for general mapping.

Sorry to be asking so many questions but I cant seem to find any infor inthe manuals.

Cheers

Tim
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: help with mapping

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:05 am

face_off Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:05 am
Hi Tim. IMO, the easiest way to do this is to apply the box mapping to the box UV's in Rhino - and then just use UV mapping in the Octane Image node.

Is this due to the overall size of the actual object in mm?
At a guess, I would say a scale of 1 in Octane translates to a texture mapping to a 1m square surface (regardless of the image size). So you would need to scale project down to fit a smaller object.

What does the coordinate space choice do when changing between world, object and local.
Rhino provides all geometry in world space (not local space), so changing these setting will not have any effect.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby formatio » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 am

formatio Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 am
Hi Tim

Unless you are using some generated textures form octane (like turbulence) leave the mapping in octane material to "mesh UV" and do all the mapping in rhino properties - it will save you a lot of time and is much more convenient.

Secondly - in rhino object properties for texture I always use surface mapping, than choose box and then adjust the size - I usually lock the 3 axes so my mapping box is perfect cube.
Then you can us mapping widget to precisely position and scale your box mapping (and every other like cylinrical, plane etc).

Check this:
mapping.JPG

If you start messing with the scale in octane material mapping it self - you make your self lot of additional work since you will have to scale the mapping for every map, and render to see changes (with diffuse map you can see how the texture is mapped in rhino rendered viewport).

Regards,
Mac
formatio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby alfabruce » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 am

alfabruce Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 am
Thanks guys, I think i follow that. Ill give it a go over the weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D