Help with Rhino preview settings

Forums: Help with Rhino preview settings
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Help with Rhino preview settings

Postby prehabitat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:06 am

prehabitat Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:06 am
HI Paul (& others),

Firstly, I’m sure I’m being Naf, either in my approach to materials, Rhino, or both…

I keep getting an error regarding making OctaneRender the default renderer to generate previews (or something along those lines). I’ve dug through the options, and the closest setting I could find was unticking the ‘prefer native renderer’ option in Rendering-Previews: but that doesn’t seem to stop the error…

It doesn’t really bother me, because I don’t really use the rhino material system( don’t hate me) but I do want to. I spend so much time in Revit with its mostly unintuitive material system that I’m rather used to almost ignoring revit materials and just loading my fav octane materials from my assets folder after ‘Octane’ing the scene, and beginning to set everything up in octane the way I like it. That said, I always like to improve when I’ve the mindspace/time get a new process ingrained. So if someone can briefly explain what I’m doing wrong and how I should test that the material preview shows I’d really appreciate it.

I also remember reading that the material preview will stop at X samples based on Y (I thought it was the standalone setting for previews, but I’m not sure where I read it. Prob in the Rhino plugin manual?)

Rhino SR10, O4rhino 2.21.1
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Help with Rhino preview settings

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:43 am

face_off Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:43 am
I order for Rhino to generate a preview of an Octane material, Octane must be selected as the current renderer. So go to Rhino->Render->Current Renderer->OctaneRenderForRhino.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Help with Rhino preview settings

Postby prehabitat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 am

prehabitat Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 am
Aha, the Render menu bar, and 'Current Renderer' menu option. I had assumed that the manu bar was just menu/text based access to tools/commands/options available elsewhere - That's my Rhino skill showing through. I'll make time to explore the menu and see what else I've been missing

Thanks Paul.
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D