Export Materials to Revit Plug In

Forums: Export Materials to Revit Plug In
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Export Materials to Revit Plug In

Postby archtobi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

archtobi Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm
Hi everyone,
i try to export all my octane Materials to a revit scene using the octane for Revit plugin. Ist there an easy way to export/import materials from one plugin to another?

cheers Tobi
GTX 780ti | 16GB RAM | I5 CPU | WIN7 | Rhino x64 SR8
archtobi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Export Materials to Revit Plug In

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm

face_off Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm
export all my octane Materials to a revit scene using the octane for Revit plugin
Can you explain what you mean by this pls? This is the Rhino forum. There is another forum for Revit plugin users.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archtobi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:11 pm

archtobi Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:11 pm
ah sorry that was not claer:

i do modelling in rhino and render inside rhino with the octane for rhino plugin. we have a partner office, that also switches to octane but they work with revit and want to render with the octane for revit plugin. we do shoprenderings so i want to provide all the materials i did in the rhino plugin for my colleagues with revit. both, me in rhino and the partner office in revit do not work in the standalone. so we need a way to export materials from the rhino plugin to the revit plugin. is that possible without using the liveDB? maybe save as .xml like the rendertargets?

cheers and thanks for support!
archtobi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 pm

face_off Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 pm
Thanks for the extra info.

There are a few of options:

1) The latest version of the Octane API has the ability to read a material from the Octane LocalDb. So you could save to ORBX in Rhino, open in Octane Standalone and save the materials to the local Db, then load them in the Revit plugin (I would need to add support for loading from the localDb into the Revit plugin).

2) You can currently save to ORBX from Rhino, open in Standalone, save each material as a separate ORBX and then import them into Revit (using the rightclick "Import Material from ORBX"). You can do this on the current versions of the plugins.

3) I could add an option to export a Rhino material to XML, which could then be imported into Revit using the "Import Material" option.

If you are only transferring a handful of materials, any of the above should be fine. If you are transferring hundreds of materials, you probably need some sort of new process to export all materials from Rhino and import them all to Revit. This would require the materials names exactly match in the Rhino and Revit scenes.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archtobi » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 am

archtobi Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 am
Hi Paul,
thanks for the advice. I saved as ORBX, this was fine. But i think an .xml option would be more intuitive and usefull for users working massively with libraries and client-standarts (as we do with shoprenderings).

One more suggestion: Is the LocalDB local to a scene in the standalone or is this meant local to the system? because then it would be usefull to have acces to it via the plugin. But i can imagine it´s hard to implement...
archtobi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 am

face_off Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 am
One more suggestion: Is the LocalDB local to a scene in the standalone or is this meant local to the system? because then it would be usefull to have acces to it via the plugin. But i can imagine it´s hard to implement...
The Octane Local Db can be accessed already in the plugin. Just Import an Octane Material from ORBX, then select the Local Db material you want from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\OctaneRender\localDb. I will probably automate this at some stage, so there is a button to go directly to that folder.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D