OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino Beta 2.06 [STABLE]

Postby v-cube » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm

v-cube Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm
This may not be so easy. I could make all Octane specular materials have a bluish color in the RHino preview window - but customising the color on a case by case basis would not be easy.

Paul

For me a general 90 % transparency and a bluish color to represent a slight amount of sky reflection would be perfectly OK, this way we would be able to see that there "is" something ;)

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:27 pm

face_off Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:27 pm
For me a general 90 % transparency and a bluish color to represent a slight amount of sky reflection would be perfectly OK, this way we would be able to see that there "is" something
Hi Andreas - my understanding was that you wanted 50% transparency. ie.
Is there a possibility to derive the viewport material opacity e.g. from the grazing opacity value multiplied by 0,5? this way it would be possible to have a subtle representation of transparency for the viewport.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 am

v-cube Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 am
Hi Andreas - my understanding was that you wanted 50% transparency. ie.

Hello Paul,

sorry I think I was a bit unclear...

My initial wish was for my fake glossy glass material with the falloff map in the opacity which was opaque.
Since I thought that it would be a good thing if the viewport material somehow represents a certain degree of transparency which is derived from the octane glossy material, I suggested to take the value of the grazing reflection of the falloff map and multiply this by a number that seems appropriate e.g. 0,5. This way you would have ended up for a fake glossy material with a grazing value of lets say 0,7 multiplied by 0,5 with a transparency of 65 %.
Looking at it again, my suggested approach is maybe not ideal since the opacity falloff map is just used to create a certain degree of reflection (not opacity) on the material and the values I used in my approach are not really a true representation of the transparency.

So maybe the easiest (I really don't know if that is easy...) thing would be to add a subnode under the opacity note named "viewport opacity value" where the user could specify a rgb color which then would be used for the transparency of the viewport material (light colors -> more transparent, dark colors less transparent)

if that is not working maybe some switch like "make transparent" which simply puts the viewport material transparency to 85%.

I could make all Octane specular materials have a bluish color in the RHino preview window - but customising the color on a case by case basis would not be easy.

This is IMHO another story as we are dealing with speculars materials here, right now all specular materials are 100% transparent in the viewport, no matter what values you key in the octane material (opacity, transmission...) while this is of course way better than the 100 % opaque of the fake glass, in practise when working on buildings you simply often don't know if there is a glass plane visible or not, so a little degree of opaqueness helps to visually identify the elements when modeling.

For specular materials my first thought was to use the opacity and/or transmission value to generate a transparency value for the viewport representation, however since I use 0% opacity a lot of times maybe it would be a better Idea to use the opacity value and add lets say 15% to this value so even if I would be using a 100% transparent octane material It would still be only 85% (100-15) in the viewport.

I hope I was able to make myself clear - english is not my native language sorry for that...

best regards

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 am

v-cube Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 am
Hello Paul,

here is another suggestion:

I often find myself waiting (up to 10 seconds...) for the preview of the material in the material editor after I altered a value. While I observed that scaling the preview down helps, I wonder if there could be the possibility for the user to define a preview quality level to speed things up? I would guess the preview window is not connected to the render settings right? Just curious, Which approach is used to generate the preview (AO,diffuse, PT ...)?

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 am

face_off Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 am
I often find myself waiting (up to 10 seconds...) for the preview of the material in the material editor after I altered a value. While I observed that scaling the preview down helps, I wonder if there could be the possibility for the user to define a preview quality level to speed things up? I would guess the preview window is not connected to the render settings right? Just curious, Which approach is used to generate the preview (AO,diffuse, PT ...)?
Hi Andreas - the material preview system is not ideal at the moment. I will investigate options to improve it after the next release.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 am

face_off Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 am
Specular Materials : I have investigating the requests posted here. I have set the transparency of specular materials in the Rhino preview window to 80% - so you can still see the geometry. However I cannot see any option in the Rhino API to see a blue'ish color - since only a "Reflectivity" number can be assigned (not a color).

Glossy Materials : Setting a < 1.0 opacity in the Rhino preview window when you have an Octane Falloff map in the opacity pin is not really viable. I could make it that if there is "something" plugged into the Octane opacity, then the Rhino opacity would be 50%. Would that help your situation?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 pm

v-cube Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 pm
Hello Paul,

Hi Andreas - the material preview system is not ideal at the moment. I will investigate options to improve it after the next release.

thats great, thanks !

Specular Materials : I have investigating the requests posted here. I have set the transparency of specular materials in the Rhino preview window to 80% - so you can still see the geometry. However I cannot see any option in the Rhino API to see a blue'ish color - since only a "Reflectivity" number can be assigned (not a color).

Thats also great, the blueishness is not really necessary/important.

Glossy Materials : Setting a < 1.0 opacity in the Rhino preview window when you have an Octane Falloff map in the opacity pin is not really viable. I could make it that if there is "something" plugged into the Octane opacity, then the Rhino opacity would be 50%. Would that help your situation?

yes, it would be great although I would prefer a opacity value of 20% (->Transparency = 80%) like your suggestion for the glossy materials, it is nicer looking and easier for modeling IMHO, since in 99% of all cases, the material will be some kind of glass.

Best regards

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am

v-cube Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am
wish of the day :-)

-It would be great if the color correct modifier would incorporate a saturation slider and ideally 3 additional sliders for red green and blue power of the texture.

-If I create a "parent" material node e.g. by adding a color correction modifier on top of an existing rgb image node, the node should automatically be moved into the new subslot of the parent material, right now the slot is created empty and the old node is lost.

best regards

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:20 am

v-cube Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:20 am
switching panel bug...

Hi Paul,

when switching from the material editor panel to the octane panel I often have a freeze of octane /rhino which forces me to brute force end the program...

switch bug.JPG

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 am

face_off Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 am
when switching from the material editor panel to the octane panel I often have a freeze of octane /rhino which forces me to brute force end the program...
Andreas - is it possible Rhino/Octane is generating the preview when you change tabs, resulting in the freeze?
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Rhinoceros 3D