OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

possible bug

Postby v-cube » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:40 pm

v-cube Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:40 pm
Hi Paul,

latest release runs great expect from one thing...

As shown in the attached picture, i recently run into rhino freezes when changing the tab from "material editor" to "octane"

Sadly it is not repeatable but happens quite often. I will try to analyse it further to see it is scene specific or not...

best regards

Andreas

octanebug-140711.JPG
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino Beta 2.02 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:55 pm

face_off Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:55 pm
Thanks Andreas. If you can provide a concise workflow which allows me to reproduce this, I can check it out. In particular, is it a certain type of material edit function which causes the problem? Does separating those 2 tabs into separate panels fix the problem? Which SR of Rhino5 are you using?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archtobi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm

archtobi Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm
Hi Paul,
first, i also get the freezing issue sometimes when changing from material editor to octane window. it appears only when the material editor is included in the toolbox on the right as shown in the screenshot. I use octane at work so later on i can tell you which build is in use. i use direct lighting kernel if that helps.

An other question: is there any work going on about implementation of two-point-perspective? seriously i work for an architecture office and produce extensively luxory shoprenderings and they ALL require two-point-perspectives (as it is the only way considered "professional" in arch viz) So editing all images in photoshop is really annoying for correction region-rendering and so on.

cheers Tobi
GTX 780ti | 16GB RAM | I5 CPU | WIN7 | Rhino x64 SR8
archtobi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 pm

face_off Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 pm
first, i also get the freezing issue sometimes when changing from material editor to octane window. it appears only when the material editor is included in the toolbox on the right as shown in the screenshot. I use octane at work so later on i can tell you which build is in use. i use direct lighting kernel if that helps.
I sent some time trying to get this error to occur, but cannot. I have the Octane Settings and Materials tabs in the same panel, but no amount of swapping between tabs and editing materials makes Rhino lock up for me. I am on Rhino SR8.

An other question: is there any work going on about implementation of two-point-perspective? seriously i work for an architecture office and produce extensively luxory shoprenderings and they ALL require two-point-perspectives (as it is the only way considered "professional" in arch viz) So editing all images in photoshop is really annoying for correction region-rendering and so on.
If I turn on 2 point perspective in Rhino I can get results in the Rhino viewport which are not possible in Octane (ie. they are not valid for a physically accurate renderer using the thinlens camera). There is also an issue with camera matching when in Rhino 2 point perspective mode - in that the camera position/parameters provided by Rhino do not translate to something that Octane can use (and therefore the camera position/rotation is incorrect) - however someone with better maths abilities might be able to work out the conversion formula.

Have you tried the Perspective Correction pin in the Octane camera? You will need to do this in Octane standalone, since it only works when the up vector is 0, 1, 0. I will amend the Rhino plugin to automatically set the up vector to 0, 1, 0 if perspective correction is ON, which might give you want you want.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino Beta 2.03 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 am

face_off Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 2.03, which fixes a number of displacement mapping issues
- Fixed issue where Camera Shift was not saving correctly
- Enabling Perspective Correction now forces the Up vector to be 0, 1, 0, which enables perspective correction to render correctly

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 am

face_off Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 am
A quick call out to people - requesting sample renders that we can use for publicity announcements. If you have anything suitable (modelled in Rhino, rendered with the plugin), can you pls email to me (paul at physicalc-software dot com). Pls feel free to add you logo to the images for some free publicity.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mvs » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:38 am

mvs Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:38 am
I am experienced working with Octane working in Rhino for stills, but not yet with the Bongo plugin for animations. We are looking to do some Bongo animations, and had a few queries about Octane support for Bongo. Perhaps someone with bongo|octane experience could help?

1/ Is camera motion blur supported?
2/ Is object motion blur supported?
3/ Are rhino animated textures in rhino materials supported? (I want to control the opacity of objects using an animated texture, avi or whatever)
4/ if these aren't supported, are they slated for any time soon?

Any help appreciated!

Paul
mvs
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 am

face_off Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 am
Hi Paul. The current version of the plugin caters to all the animation abilities of Rhino, but not Bongo. However integration with Bongo is planned, however it's a lot of work, and so far you are the only person who has requested this feature, so it is low on the priority list.

1/ Is camera motion blur supported?
Camera motion blur is supported in standard Rhino walk-thru animations. If you are using Bongo to animation the camera position - I am not sure if camera motion blur will work or not. If it doesn't work, it may be an easy fix - but you would need to send my a Bongo file with an animated camera so I can sort out what may be going wrong.

2/ Is object motion blur supported?
Not at this stage. However I have discussed with the McNeel people how this could be done and the object transformed could be obtained from the Bongo API. So it's certainly possible, but a reasonable amount of work.

3/ Are rhino animated textures in rhino materials supported? (I want to control the opacity of objects using an animated texture, avi or whatever)
To do this - you would need to assign the Rhino material to the object (not an Octane material) - and setup the animated texture in the Rhino material. I suspect the current version of the plugin will create an Octane node for the Rhino material at frame 1 and retain it - so the texture at frame 2, 3, 4, etc will not be feed into the Octane node. But this could be implemented. Again - if you have a sample scene demonstrating this, I can take a closer look.

Hope the above answers your questions.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am

v-cube Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am
Hello Paul,
Concerning the bongo support I would also be very, very interested ☺
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:04 pm

face_off Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:04 pm
Thanks Andreas.

A reminder of the above call for promo renders. I have none to give McNeel so far....

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Rhinoceros 3D