OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [OBSOLETE] (RhinoSR8 40305)

Forums: OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [OBSOLETE] (RhinoSR8 40305)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [OBSOLETE] (RhinoSR8 40305)

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:40 am

face_off Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:40 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for Rhino, build 1.32.0.12 onwards (TEST RELEASE). This version is compiled against Octane 1.32, so see the requirements for that build regarding compatibility with your video card.

This version requires Rhino5, SR8 - build 40305 or later. Pls check your Rhino version prior to installing this version of the plugin.

This TEST version is 1.32.0.12 (but updates may be posted in this thread which supersede this release number).

Scenes saved with this build cannot be loaded with the 1.20 build, so make sure you keep a backup of the 1.20 scenes

If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Rhino version and build number
- OctaneRender for Rhino version (ie. 1.20.1.13)

Change Log from release 1.32.0.11
- If a mesh is "Live" in the Octane Geometry tab, it will now refresh/update the Viewport when you assign a different material
- If a mesh is "Live" in the Octane Geometry tab, it will now refresh/update the Viewport when you change the texture mapping of the object
- Resolved an incorrect transformation issue with nested blocks
- Resolved issue where material mix materials where not displaying texturemaps correctly in the Rhino viewport
- You can now select "Save To File" for an Octane Material in the Rhino Material panel, to save an Octane material

Regarding a batch download process of the LiveDb, this will now not be happening, since Octane plugins plus Octane Standalone cache the LiveDb Texturemaps, which should remove the need for a batch download process.

LIMITATION - Sun studies are not currently picking up the correct sun position. There is a support call in with McNeel on this issue

For more information...
- Watch Iceglance's quickstart tutorial http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=36299
- Read the on-line manual
- Watch the "Getting Started" video http://vimeo.com/73202740
- Read the FAQ
- Post your question on this forum thread

Limitations
Refer to the on-line manual

Download Links
Download the plugin from the following links:
- OctaneRender for Rhino5 1.32.0.15 (64 bit)
- Pls let me know if you need a 32 bit build

Pls let me know if you have problems - but also let me know if it's working OK for you!

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [TEST] (RhinoSR8 40305)

Postby newske » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 am

newske Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 am
- If a mesh is "Live" in the Octane Geometry tab, it will now refresh/update the Viewport when you assign a different material
- If a mesh is "Live" in the Octane Geometry tab, it will now refresh/update the Viewport when you change the texture mapping of the object

Fantastic - Thanks Paul. These changes should make a big difference.

Is there a way to "only update modified geometry" or something? For example when one is positioning things in a view (and in this case the mesh doesn't even change) it would be ideal if you didn't have to remesh the whole scene. Understandably this might be difficult/not possible.

Newske

Edit:
Some development of scattering. This was the project I was working on during the beta - and thus why I was pressing you so much about animations Paul (admittedly, this was done 3-4 months ago). Just a test of how much junk I could fit on my 1GB cards while still running the displays. See thousands of trees, millions of flowers, thousands of people, hundreds of cars: http://vimeo.com/79453839
Octane for Rhino | Windows 8.1 x64 | i7-3820 OC | GTX970 4GB OC & GTX 560 Ti 1GB OC | 32GB DDR3
newske
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40 am

prehabitat Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40 am
newske wrote:
Some development of scattering. This was the project I was working on during the beta - and thus why I was pressing you so much about animations Paul (admittedly, this was done 3-4 months ago). Just a test of how much junk I could fit on my 1GB cards while still running the displays. See thousands of trees, millions of flowers, thousands of people, hundreds of cars: http://vimeo.com/79453839

Nice work Newske, I'm impressed how much you could fit into the 1gb!
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 pm

face_off Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:01 pm
Amazing video Cam! That would have been an incredible amount of effort to put together. You need Octane motion blur now :-)

Is there a way to "only update modified geometry" or something? For example when one is positioning things in a view (and in this case the mesh doesn't even change) it would be ideal if you didn't have to remesh the whole scene. Understandably this might be difficult/not possible.

Do you mean when animating with Octane via the Rhino render panel? Or do you mean when editing a scene with the Octane Viewport open?

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby newske » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 pm

newske Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 pm
face_off wrote:

Do you mean when animating with Octane via the Rhino render panel? Or do you mean when editing a scene with the Octane Viewport open?

Paul

I mean when editing a scene with the viewport open - just to avoid the few seconds it can take when loading an XL scene.
Octane for Rhino | Windows 8.1 x64 | i7-3820 OC | GTX970 4GB OC & GTX 560 Ti 1GB OC | 32GB DDR3
newske
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby polywog7 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm

polywog7 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm
Wow Newske, that's really impressive. Was that all done in rhino + octane? I'd love to know some of your workflow if you get a chance, Did you use bongo for the animation and render with the octane plugin? Also how did you go about the scattering? Grasshopper?

Great work!
polywog7
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:49 pm

face_off Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:49 pm
I mean when editing a scene with the viewport open - just to avoid the few seconds it can take when loading an XL scene.

If you turn OFF Live Update in the plugin Geometry tab, the mesh will not be "Live", so won't update in the Vuewport when you move it.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby eric_clough » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 pm

eric_clough Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 pm
Hi Paul ..

This may be premature as I have just loaded this latest version but have not tried it yet.

I have a test file that I use for update testing and for testing materials I insert into a template file with lots of layers and materials.

I have been inserting new plants (obj) files for testing also.

Earlier today it seemed that things were bogging down. Even with rhino 'wire frame' display working in Rhino is slow and choppy if the Octane display window is operating. So I have been turning it off to work on the test model and then turning it on to see what is happening. Often when I turn Octane on Rhino stops responding and I have to restart it and it helps if I reboot the system.

Maybe I am just pushing my computer resources but it is a pretty good system. Maybe the additional video card I have ordered to simply run the system will help. Maybe your new build will help.

If I can get the Octane window to open I can export the file to ocs ... the Stand Alone version is working very well.

That's a lot of implied questions in one posting but I thought you would like to know.

cheers,
eric
Win 8.1,16GB,i7,GeForce GTX760(4GB),(GeForce 334.89 driver, GeForce GT640(4GB) Dual 27" monitors
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:10 am

face_off Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:10 am
Hi Eric

I think your scene has hit a size where the Rhino OpenGl view is starting to compete with Octane and use a lot of GPU resources. I am trying to get a definitive recommendation for this - so you can be a good test case :-) My belief is, that if you have a separate video card as your Windows display adapter, Rhino will still search out and use your Octane rendering card for it's OpenGl processing.

You can check this with Rhino->Tools-Options->View->OpenGL. If the "Video Hardware & Driver Information" is showing the same card that Octane is using for rendering, then when you render in Octane, the Rhino preview window will slow down (and you will have less memory available for Octane texturemaps and geometry).

If this is the case - does Unticking "Use accelerated hardware modes" resolve your performance problem? When you untick this, the "Video Hardware & Driver Information" should then show your Windows display adapter.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby eric_clough » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 am

eric_clough Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 am
Hi Paul ..

I checked and accelerated display was not on ... so I checked do not use open GL and it made no difference.

I don't have a additional card in yet ... I have ordered one but it is back ordered.

The first time I opened the Octane display window since installing your latest version it threw Rhino into the not responding mode (the octane tab froze on voxelizing please wait ... and the Rhino toolbars flashed on and off at random (I have a dual display and lots of toolbars showing).

When I set the rhino view to top view instead of perspective then the Octane display window opens properly and stays working after I change the Rhino view back to perspective. This has worked a number of times today but then sometimes it opens fine with perspective view turned on.

that's about all I can tell you today ... I am about to leave the office and won't be in much for the next couple of days.

cheers,
eric
Win 8.1,16GB,i7,GeForce GTX760(4GB),(GeForce 334.89 driver, GeForce GT640(4GB) Dual 27" monitors
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Rhinoceros 3D