OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [OBSOLETE] (RhinoSR7 31213)

Forums: OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [OBSOLETE] (RhinoSR7 31213)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

OctaneRender for Rhino 1.32 [OBSOLETE] (RhinoSR7 31213)

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:15 am

face_off Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:15 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for Rhino, build 1.25.0.2 onwards (STABLE RELEASE). This version is compiled against Octane 1.25, so see the requirements for that build regarding compatibility with your video card.

This version requires Rhino5, SR7 - build 31213 or later. Pls check your Rhino version prior to installing this version of the plugin.

This TEST version is 1.25.0.2 (but updates may be posted in this thread which supersede this release number).

Scenes saved with this build cannot be loaded with the 1.20 build, so make sure you keep a backup of the 1.20 scenes

If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Rhino version and build number
- OctaneRender for Rhino version (ie. 1.20.1.13)

Change Log from release 1.20.1.29
- Compiled against Octane 1.25 - so substantial changes to the underlying plugin code
- Pin names/node names changed to be more user friendly
- Save to OCS (Octane Standalone) added to the rightclick menu of the Settings tab
- All "scale" pins have been replaced with transform nodes. So you can apply different projections to texturemaps and procedural textures. Old scales from your saved scenes are not retained.
- Converting material with rotated texturemaps is not working correctly yet - but texture scales are working.
- Improved logging. Open the Cuda Log (devices tab) to see any general Octane errors and/or logging.
- Camera motion blur not implemented (unsure if anyone needs this from Rhino or not, or if it is possible)
- If you want to rotate an IBL, set the project the Spherical and move the rotation sliders.
- It is strongly recommended that you delete your default rendertarget settings (delete C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for Rhinoceros\Defaults\Rendertarget.xml) and recreate them again in the plugin. This will ensure the new daylight structure is saved in your default rendertarget

Known Issue
If you select "Save To File" for an Octane Material in the Rhino Material panel, a "Failed to save to file" error is returned. This is a Rhino issue, and is fixed in Rhino SR8.

LIMITATION - Sun studies are not currently picking up the correct sun position. There is a support call in with McNeel on this issue

For more information...
- Watch Iceglance's quickstart tutorial http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=36299
- Read the on-line manual
- Watch the "Getting Started" video http://vimeo.com/73202740
- Read the FAQ
- Post your question on this forum thread

Limitations
Refer to the on-line manual

Download Links
Download the plugin from the following links:
- OctaneRender for Rhino5 1.32.0.11 (64 bit)
- Pls let me know if you need a 32 bit build

Pls let me know if you have problems - but also let me know if it's working OK for you!

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino 1.25.0.2 [TEST] (RhinoSR7 31213)

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 am

face_off Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 am
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread with:

- Fixed issue causing the Octane sun position to not pick up the Rhino sun position
- If a Octane referenced texturemap is not found when loading a scene, the plugin allows the searching for the file. If you abort from the search dialog, all further searching for texturemaps is disabled until a new scene is loaded. Missing texturemaps will be reported as an Octane/Cuda error too.
- Daylight environments now default to a sun position directly overhead (ie. 0, 1, 0)
- It is strongly recommended that you delete (or create) your C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for Rhinoceros\Defaults\Rendertarget.xml file - so that the new daylight structure is saved in your default rendertarget
- Scale nodes have changed such that an Octane 1.20 scale of 10 is an Octane 1.25 scale of 0.1. So old scenes will load with an incorrect scale.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:50 am

v-cube Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:50 am
Hello Paul,

thank you for the new build, I have a question concerning the new texture scale options (3d transformation):

Is there a way to lock the 3 sliders to make editing faster? I am asking because I do not need to modify the values independently in 95% of the time so now I have to key in 3 values instead of one...

best regards

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am

face_off Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am
Is there a way to lock the 3 sliders to make editing faster? I am asking because I do not need to modify the values independently in 95% of the time so now I have to key in 3 values instead of one...

Yes - I think this would be a good feature. How would this work? Would the "Lock" checkbox be a single "remembered" option (that is saved in the config.xml file)? Would it only be for the scale sliders? Space is an issue in the node edit box when this 3 sliders are displayed, so not sure where the checkbox would fit. Maybe it would be on the rightclick menu for a material?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am

v-cube Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am
maybe something like this? not too pretty (my ps skill is a bit limited at the moment because I broke my shoulder last week...) but would do the job... it could freeze all 3 values at the same number or even freeze the 3 sliders in their relation to each other in case the values are different...

best regards

andreas
Attachments
locked.jpg
unlocked.jpg
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Bendbox » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Bendbox Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 pm
+1 for this feature. I like something similar to what V Cube has mapped out. This makes it easier for new users, otherwise you wouldn't know it was there.
Win10x64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / 64g RAM / 2 x RTX 3090
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:06 pm

v-cube Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:06 pm
Hello Paul,

when i open the octane render window in a very simple scene (only one object, new scene...) my initial render window is looking like the attached pic, it seems that only some very subtle shadows in the corners are rendered, the rest seems 100% transparent.
It seems to be related to the default daylight environment settings somehow, because by simply assigning first a texture environment and then again the daylight system, everything starts to work again...

another thing I observed is that my vray glas objects now translate with a deep red color in their diffuse channel...

best

Andreas
Attachments
daylight bug.JPG
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:56 pm

face_off Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:56 pm
Andreas - can you pls delete C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\OctaneRender for Rhinoceros\rendertarget.xml - I think the old version of the default rendertarget is not compatible with the Octane 1.25 one.

Does that fix the problem?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 am

face_off Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 am
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread with:

- Added "lock" button to the "scale" pin sliders (on the far left of the X, Y, Z labels in the Node Edit box). Enable to move all sliders at once.
- Material pins for an Octane mesh are now the Rhino material name followed by the Id. This should make it easier to identify materials in Octane Standalone when loading scenes exported from the Rhino plugin
- Added a "Hide" checkbox for proxy/scatter item, which when ticked stop that OBJ file from being loaded into the Octane scene. Handy for disabling scatter items.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Tipperz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Tipperz Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:36 pm
Hi Paul,

2 questions;

1- On 2 live projects we had this situation - Scene 1 [large interior]: We had to up the max poly's in the Rhino/option dropdown to allow it to load into the Octane render window. Scene 2 [different large interior]: This loaded into Rhino Octane fine at default max poly's. When we voxelized it on the higher max poly's setting (as Scene 1) we received an out of memory error and Rhino crashed.

Question - Does Octane up the poly density if the Rhino/option poly max is set higher?

2- We are now working as teams on Rhino Octane and need all Live DB textures saved and linked from all Rhino seats to our main server. How do we change the default live DB location that we have added to our scenes?

Thanks.
Win7 pro 64 / i7 4930 3.4 6core / 2x gtx 680 4gb / 32gb DDR3
Tipperz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Rhinoceros 3D