LW Octane & ACES & After Effects

Forums: LW Octane & ACES & After Effects
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

LW Octane & ACES & After Effects

Postby TheMightySpud » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:13 pm

TheMightySpud Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:13 pm
Hi all,

Does anyone use LW Octane and the ACES colour space stuff with After Effects?

With Octane needing to be Linear Colour Space, I'm a little confused as to how to get it working with ACES. (ie, render out to EXR and it has an ACES prodile (according to after effects), but no idea which aces profile it is.

All the videos/guides I've seen are non-LW related but say render out with AcesCG.

Anyone have any insights please? :-/

Paul
TheMightySpud
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: LW Octane & ACES & After Effects

Postby xevious2501 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:18 pm

xevious2501 Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:18 pm
Just checking to see if you got any headway on your old post in regards to LW/Octane and Aces output.

From what i gathered, Octane's LW dcc does not fully support Aces although you do see it as a file output.
Lightwave itself (2015 doesnt fully support aces) or at least i never found a proper icc file to install.
Granted Lighwave 2020 manual has a mention on its support.

At the end of the day, The latest Octane supports aces natively.
and i have the notion that if you export your LW project as a native octane.ocs or orbx and import into native Octane studio.
then you can make color adjustments and render out your work with proper aces.

I havent tried it yet.
Our comp an colorists guys are all over me about this.
Otoy had long promised of getting this done in LW. but when all was said and done.
they not only didnt deliver but they dropped LW support all together. Talk about getting burned.
Juanjo LW's DCC developer has since moved on to Houdini support.
Hopefully with the reaquisition of lightwave under new overship and new development OTOY will once again fully support it.
but for now this all sucks.
xevious2501
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: LW Octane & ACES & After Effects

Postby elsksa » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:27 pm

elsksa Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:27 pm
xevious2501 wrote:Just checking to see if you got any headway on your old post in regards to LW/Octane and Aces output.

From what i gathered, Octane's LW dcc does not fully support Aces although you do see it as a file output.

Hi,

What are the available options in LW? I'm on Standalone and wrote about it but perhaps I can help on LW. Color pipeline is universal, though. What applies to X also applies to Y software/renderer/compositing software.

Essentially, the ACES (expectedly ACEScg AP1 encoded) is exported, the native ACES will suffice for post work.

In-renderer ACES is needed for appropriate previewing while lighting, look-dev, etc. However, there is a native ACES checkbox that applies ACES RRT + sRGB Output ODT that could be a temporary solution.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D