Export timing issue

Forums: Export timing issue
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Export timing issue

Postby Pavlov » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Pavlov Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:21 pm
Hi all,
not Lw - only related, i'll also post in main section.
in scenes with many objects, textures and instances (basically any mid archviz scene) surely biggest bottleneck in Octane usage is export time.
My scenes take averagely 90/120 sec to export - and they are heavily optimized (maps are reduced depending on distance, polycount is optimized, etc).
I wonder if there is a way in the future to improve this. For example buffering - Octane could send stuff to GPUs in background while we work, so when we launch IPR it has to load only modified stuff.
Also, when we use IPR and we close it, Octane could anyway keep stuff in GPU and next time we start it, it just loads modified stuff (like corona does for CPU).
There are large margins for optimization on this side. Is there anything in future plans about this ?

Thanks
Paolo
I7 960 3.2 GHZ - 6GB ram - GTS 250 display only - Asus GTX 470
Pavlov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Export timing issue

Postby juanjgon » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:58 am

juanjgon Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:58 am
Work with the scene while it is being extracted is not possible, as you could understand, but it is true that perhaps the function that pre-processes the scene and send it to the GPUs could run in the background.

In the IPR you have a couple of buttons that could help. the "No Upd" button disable the events system, so the IPR continues rendering without updating the scene while you work. On the other hand, the "Pause" button pauses the Octane rendering while you work. In both cases, once you disable these options, the scene is automatically updated.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Export timing issue

Postby Pavlov » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Pavlov Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:30 pm
Hi Juan,
thanks for the info, i use these buttons and i've also configured both Rendertarget and plugin options to optimal settings for my workflow.
Problem is Octane need a full reload in many situations - i.e. each time i add an instancer, or if i add a single object to scene, In these cases, it seems the only thing i can do is reload everything - maybe i can skip textures - but process is really long.
Beside the background pre-process thing, also the other option could be interesting: keep everything in GPU once loaded first time, so all next IPR reload will just update changed stuff. I do not know if it's technically feasible, maybe it's more on Otoy side.
Anyway, smaller things which could be useful:
- A button to "send" to IPR a freshly-loaded object. If i add a car to scene while IPR runs (or it's paused), for now this need s a full reload (reload selected does not seem to work on objects added after IPR launch).
- A much, much better instancing support, but we discussed it - and should be on NT side. I'm sure they understand how important is Octane for LW.
- Any other idea coming in mind which prevents full scene reloads will improve Octane usage more than any new feature.

Thanks
I7 960 3.2 GHZ - 6GB ram - GTS 250 display only - Asus GTX 470
Pavlov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D