LW+Octane Linear workflow Help.. please!

Forums: LW+Octane Linear workflow Help.. please!
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

LW+Octane Linear workflow Help.. please!

Postby xevious2501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 pm

xevious2501 Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 pm
Hey guys i'm in need of some help creating a proper Linear workflow with LW and octane.
i understand the principle behind it all, but im confused as to what proper setup i should have in LW/octane. be making its CS menu to default (all linear), importing imagery as defining its color space in the LW's imager (rec709, srgb)etc or not, Or am i to leave those things default in LW imager and only make changes to the imagery in octanes Image Texture node, their in changing its gamma.
And as for octane render kernel pathtracing, im confused, octane works in linear, as we have the camera's gamma setting at the top, then the response settings/ choices and luts then midways the IPR's own retargeting of gamma. Nothing in the manuals really explains the process. If i had a basic scene already setup in the linear workflow then i can finally understand what settings should and shouldnt be changed.
Please guys im trying my best to figure this out but it seems my renders are always off, often i think LW is the issue,
im on a gig with little time to figure this stuff out, client is breathing down my back. thanks.
xevious2501
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: LW+Octane Linear workflow Help.. please!

Postby xevious2501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

xevious2501 Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm
Last question..? Ive noticed going over the now way outdated LW/octane online manual, that regarding octanes Image:camera That Fstop and ISO are currently missing from our options.
xevious2501
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm

juanjgon Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm
Hi,

The LW color space functions must be always disabled. Usually, they are not going to affect the Octane rendering, but they can double correct the Octane IPR color space, so it is better to have them always disabled and work always with the Octane plugin imager node tone mapping and gamma parameters.

If you save the rendered images from the passes node using any of the "untonemapped" file formats, the output must be always linear, even if your settings in the imager node are not set to linear (for example, if the response is set to the default sRGB mode), but you could also configure all the imager settings to work in linear space (setting the response to "Linear" and leaving the gamma to 1.0), and preview the IPR images using a custom gamma enabling the "IPR custom gamma" option.

Finally, about the input textures, you have a gamma option in the texture image node to correct it if needed. Usually, for the hdr float images (for example EXR files), this parameter should be set to 1.0, but if your textures are coming from 8-bit sources (for example JPG files), you can set this parameter to 2.2 to correct it.

Hope it helps,
-juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby nico_cad » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 am

nico_cad Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 am
so Juanjo this panel not work??
i see the color variation if change it.
how can disable it?
Attachments
color.PNG
nico_cad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:13 pm

juanjgon Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:13 pm
To work with Octane you need to disable all these options and set them to linear. The color correction must be done always on the Octane side, using its gamma and tone mapping options.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D