How to shutdown PC after gpu rendering

Forums: How to shutdown PC after gpu rendering
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

How to shutdown PC after gpu rendering

Postby VIZUALIZACE-CZ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm

VIZUALIZACE-CZ Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm
Hi,
do you know any way to shut down PC after GPU rendering - Lightwave + Octane? Best to make it work for the PC running Octane Slave.
VIZUALIZACE-CZ
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to shutdown PC after gpu rendering

Postby frankmci » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm

frankmci Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm
There are a few utilities that will do it. One I used to use is called KShutdown. As I recall, you'll need to tell it the specific process to watch as the trigger, and in this case, that will not be the top level application process, but the render subprocess. I don't know what that specific process will be for Lightwave/Octane, but it should be pretty obvious what to target by watching a quick render in the Process Monitor.

I just checked, and it's still up to date and available on sourceforge.
https://kshutdown.sourceforge.io/download.html
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby VIZUALIZACE-CZ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 am

VIZUALIZACE-CZ Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 am
Hi,
so we used something similar when it was still running over the CPU (Native LW Render). I tried KShutdown, but I can not find an adequate Windows process for the GPU Rendering Lightwave + Octane, which can be set to "turn off when done".
I was hoping for some "shutdown" software that would track the GPU load and if the GPU load dropped below 10% for a certain time.
VIZUALIZACE-CZ
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 pm

frankmci Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 pm
Too bad that the GPU manager process isn't obvious in your situation. If you are comfortable with command line tools you might want to run a little batch script to monitor GPU usage. I'm guessing Windows still has Task Scheduler? If not, something like ZCron should do the trick. With either of those and a small batch script, it should be fairly straight forward to check GPU usage every five minutes or so, then initiate a shutdown based on the results. If you do go down that rout, I suggest only shutting down after two or three successive GPU checks that are all below your threshold, to avoid accidentally shutting down if the GPU check just happens to be in-between frames. I learned that the hard way. :)

Another option is using one of the free render management tools out there. Most of them can be configured to run a particular script on job completion. Honestly, though, getting them properly configured is probably more of a hassle than writing a cron job or a batch file script.

I realize this is not the kind of answer you were looking for. I haven't been a regular Windows user in many years, so there is probably a more GUI driven solution out there. In real life, if you're not already familiar with cron job or .bat files, it will probably take a full day to get a cron or batch approach working reliably.

Good luck!

(edit)
A little googling has turned up this utility:

https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/

Looks like it can track GPU usage and has triggerable events. It might do exactly what you are looking for.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D