Zbrush displacements on organic shapes

Forums: Zbrush displacements on organic shapes
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Zbrush displacements on organic shapes

Postby gordonrobb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 am

gordonrobb Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 am
I thought I'd reopen this discussion. I just tried a simple displacement on a simple head to see if there had been any change in the use of Zbrush displacements in Octane displacement node. The image shows the result with using Octane (left) and Lightwave displacement (right). You can clearly see light wave handles the displacement fine while Octane tears the geometry. Please note, these were not active at the same time.

Now I know I can use lightwave displacement and send it to Octane, but sometimes the number of polygons needed is dramatically higher. All I want is a displacement node which does not tear/rip the geometry like Octane does. Am I missing something? Are other people getting this to work with Zbrush?

Any help gratefully received.

ScreenClip.png
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Zbrush displacements on organic shapes

Postby dsol21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 pm

dsol21 Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 pm
I had the same issue. The only solution I found was to increase the LW subdivision level (and/or re-exporting the model and maps from Zbrush with a higher minimum subD level) until the Octane displacements stopped tearing. It seems like the more polygons you give it (with lower angular differences between poly normals), the more reliably it works
dsol21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D