F9/F10 render slowdown

Forums: F9/F10 render slowdown
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

F9/F10 render slowdown

Postby rustyippolito » Wed May 17, 2017 4:24 am

rustyippolito Wed May 17, 2017 4:24 am
Hey Juan-

We have been rendering without any issues on plenty of jobs here, but this one has hit a problem. It is a simple scene with a few simple objects and a few small textures. It loads super quickly in IPR and renders in about 2 seconds on my 4X 1080Ti machine. But when doing either an F9 or F10 render, Octane hangs up on the LOADING and UPDATING for almost a full minute, plus another 30 sec of updating before starting each frame. It takes roughly 30 sec for Octane to even open upon hitting F9. I thought maybe it was my network, so moved the content to the local drive and the same slowdown occurs. Also tried on a separate machine with 2x TitanX cards with the same (even slower) results. May i send you the scene to debug? I don't see anything in the log and nothing odd shows up in the console window. Hoping i have hooked up something wrong somewhere (wouldn't be the first time:) )
rustyippolito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: F9/F10 render slowdown

Postby juanjgon » Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 am

juanjgon Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 am
Hi,

Yes sure, I can test the scene here. Usually, these problems are related to the mesh deformations, fur or instances motion blur. The motion blur in these cases is not available in the IPR, so later, while rendering with F9/F10, the preprocessing time can be very slow if the motion is too fast, or there are a lot of objects (for example a lot of furor instances) in a small space.

Unfortunately, in this case, I can't do anything from the plugin to speed up the preprocessing time. One good test to see if this is the problem can be trying to render the scene with the motion blur disabled.

Another thing that comes to my mind, is that perhaps you have a very high render LightWave subdivision level in an object options panel. Remember that the IPR uses the preview subdivision level, but the final render uses the render level.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

juanjgon Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm
Finally this problem was related to using the LightWave render subdivision and the Octane subdivision at the same time. Remember that to use the Octane subdivision the plugin needs to extract from the scene only the base mesh, so all the LW preview/render subdivision levels must be set to 0.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby johnkarner » Fri May 26, 2017 2:11 am

johnkarner Fri May 26, 2017 2:11 am
Interesting. I'm having slow down issues too, need to find where the octane subdivision tab is to see if it's doubling up my LW sub D
johnkarner
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D