Light Mix like in Corona

Forums: Light Mix like in Corona
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Light Mix like in Corona

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm
I like to watch others work and see workflows etc. I saw this tutorial using Corona in MAX. At the end he was using LIGHT MIX and was able to create totally different looks after ONE RENDER output. Is there anything like this in LW or OCTANE even remotely similar I might be missing?

https://youtu.be/_2m2idqr-z8?t=19m11s
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Light Mix like in Corona

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm
Hopefully you guys are seeing what I was talking about...it's actually about a min in from where I linked.

He is able to MIX in like layers of GI the different lights in the scene as well as color temp's....it's actually really amazing!
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 pm

BorisGoreta Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 pm
Yes you can do that, you can render out all lights in a layered PSD file in one go and then mix those layers in PS to balance the lights in post.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Yes you can do that, you can render out all lights in a layered PSD file in one go and then mix those layers in PS to balance the lights in post.

I don't think that would do the same....but could be nice for doing some minor touch up/tweaks.

What your seeing here is anctual MIXING of the GI data from each of these lights, in real time from BUFFERS.

Would be amazing to be able to do something similar and have presets that could be saved for the image saver...so that one render could have several MOODS to it in one render pass/go/time.

Thanks.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 pm

BorisGoreta Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 pm
Aha, so what you're saying is they are doing the same thing but within the renderer, not later in post ?
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Aha, so what you're saying is they are doing the same thing but within the renderer, not later in post ?

I don't have the program, all I can do is watch...hopefully you did too. But it looks to me like the renderer once setup correctly with these MIXLIGHT options...saves a bunch of extra buffers out and in the finished render panel has all of those with an interface to adjust.

If there was anything like this, PLUS the ability to setup a preset and then add that preset to a render batch, allowing us to save several different moods/setups from ONE render that would be incredible!

Anyway, just a cool thing I saw..and some innovation on their part as a render engine.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 pm

BorisGoreta Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 pm
But this workflow is possible now in Octane renderer, its just that you have to mix it elsewhere like Photoshop, After Effects or similar.
I can't remember where are these options exactly but you can render all those layers in one go.

If you render out a layer for each light the job of the renderer engine is done since you can tweak it later as much as you like.

It would be a nice addition to have this inside Octane but pipeline wise it is better to have it outside.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:But this workflow is possible now in Octane renderer, its just that you have to mix it elsewhere like Photoshop, After Effects or similar.
I can't remember where are these options exactly but you can render all those layers in one go.

If you render out a layer for each light the job of the renderer engine is done since you can tweak it later as much as you like.

It would be a nice addition to have this inside Octane but pipeline wise it is better to have it outside.

No worries...but your missing it.

When they FADE on the light..the Global Illumination FADES on too...you can actually blow out the light and it LIGHT the scene after the render.

The only thing you could do in Photoshop is change the opacity of a layer...or the blending mode....neither will do this the same.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 pm

BorisGoreta Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 pm
Yep, that's what Octane light layers do also, specific layer is calculated for only one light but also for all GI effect this specific light has on the scene, then it calculates this for the second light and so on. Because of physical properties of the light you can just ADD this in PS to get the final image. This is what happens under the render engine hood also when rendering the final image. I am sure this is the same thing. Try it !

P.S. Environment pass is also calculated separately and added
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 pm

BorisGoreta Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 pm
Here is a layered PSD file I got from Octane in one go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nfn8998zmq2hsn/light_multiLayer_0000.rar?dl=0
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Lightwave 3D