F9 Render Freezes Lightwave on Render Completion

Forums: F9 Render Freezes Lightwave on Render Completion
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

F9 Render Freezes Lightwave on Render Completion

Postby MrFurious » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:43 am

MrFurious Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:43 am
It seems that often when I do an F9 render, it will get all the way to the end, and then just lock up Lightwave. I then have to force quit, restart LW and restart the render

Has anyone else noticed this? this happens constantly but not everytime, I'd say 40% of my renders this happens. LW sometimes freezes if I hit 'abort and continue' before the render is completed. Noticed this since the latest Octane for LW build.

It seems to happen more often when I 'm using my pc as I'm rendering. I might notice one of my GPU's (shared display GPU and also render GPU) will throttle back to 0% usage but the render continues.

Maybe due to running out of GPU Ram?..

Running LW 2015.1 Octane 2.016
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: F9 Render Freezes Lightwave on Render Completion

Postby juanjgon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:37 pm

juanjgon Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:37 pm
There is a known bug in the last build that stops rendering in the last render pass if you are using render passes, but it doesn't freeze the Layout: if you press abort+continue or even pause/unpause the render continue without problems. Anyway only the last 2.21 beta has this issue.

Perhaps your display GPU is running out of memory if you are working with the computer at the same time that you are rendering a scene. You could try to render with the display GPU disabled to know if this is the problem. You could also enable the rendering log to see if you get any kind of CUDA or Octane API error messages.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:45 pm

MrFurious Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:45 pm
Thanks Juanjo I'm going to try not using my display GPU next time. I have notice recently my renders are leaving less than 50mb in ram on my display GPU so.. if that's the case and my display GPU is dangerously low on ram, would this cause the render to freeze LW at the end of the render, or on 'abort and continue'?
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:25 pm

juanjgon Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:25 pm
Working with less than 100 MB of free RAM in the GPUs is not a good idea at all. If you work with OpenGL programs while you are rendering using your display GPU (for example the Layout or the Modeler) it is easy to fill the available GPU RAM with only one operation in this programs, and Octane can crash or hang.

I know that it is useful use all the GPUs for rendering, but I think that it is not a good idea to use the display GPU for rendering if you have low memory.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D