projection doesn't work on animated body

Forums: projection doesn't work on animated body
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

projection doesn't work on animated body

Postby hdace » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:35 pm

hdace Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:35 pm
Hi Juanjo,

I know this has been discussed many times, but I still don't get it. 99% of the time, with an animated character, all of the surface textures have UV maps and everything's fine. But every now-and-then we decide that a certain texture would look much better if it were rendered with a procedural. Now, we've tried your rasterizing LW node method, the red input on the texture image node, but we don't like how that works.

We like the Octane procedurals, but whenever we use one with an animated character, the texture slides around on the surface of the character's skin, or clothes, when the character moves around. We've tried the Octane Projection node, plugged into the Projection input on the procedural nodes, and that doesn't work. We've tried the Octane UVMAP, plugged into the Normal input in the main Surface node. That doesn't work.

We've tried the "node tree" method described here: http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Lightwave3D/?page_id=63
It says, "it is easy to setup a node tree that allow fix the texture to the object transformations. There is a sample scene in the install file." That doesn't work either. Unless we're doing something wrong. I can't find the sample scene mentioned. Where is it?

Thanks so much, Hal
Vote for Juanjo!
hdace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: projection doesn't work on animated body

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 pm

juanjgon Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 pm
As far I know the Octane procedurals are not linked to the mesh topology, they are computed for each frame only using the object matrix transformation (position, scale and so on), so any deformation in the mesh is not supported by the procedurals without the slide effect.

You need to use only raster texture files and UV maps. You can also use the LW procedurals with the rasterizer feature, but you can't use the Octane native procedurals with mesh deformations.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: projection doesn't work on animated body

Postby hdace » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:17 am

hdace Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:17 am
Now we know. Thanks!
Vote for Juanjo!
hdace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer