License question

Forums: License question
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

License question

Postby geo_n » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:32 am

geo_n Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:32 am
Question regarding license. I only have one octane standalone and lw plugin license but I have two lightwave license. If I upgrade octane 2.0 now I get standalone for a discount and get lw plugin free.
If I buy another license for my other lightwave license, I assume I pay full price for the second license, right? Does it come with free lw plugin license, too?
These licenses are not tied directly to any of the two lightwave license/dongle, right?

Reason being the network rendering license issue seems like its going to take loooong to sort out for otoy. So if I get a second standalone license for network rendering I'm wondering if the lw plugin will be free for that second license as well. Like a consolation prize.
geo_n
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: License question

Postby juanjgon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 am

juanjgon Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 am
The plugin is only free with the 2.x from 1.x Standalone upgrade. To run the Octane for Lightwave plugin in a second machine (at the same time than the plugin in the first machine) you need a new full combo license (standalone+plugin).

The plugin is not tied to the Lightwave license, it is tied to the computer, so if you are going to work with the plugin only in one computer at the same time, you always can deactivate the plugin licenses in one computer and activate it in the other system, but you can't activate the same plugin license in two computers at the same time.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby geo_n » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:52 am

geo_n Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:52 am
juanjgon wrote:The plugin is only free with the 2.x from 1.x Standalone upgrade. To run the Octane for Lightwave plugin in a second machine (at the same time than the plugin in the first machine) you need a new full combo license (standalone+plugin).

The plugin is not tied to the Lightwave license, it is tied to the computer, so if you are going to work with the plugin only in one computer at the same time, you always can deactivate the plugin licenses in one computer and activate it in the other system, but you can't activate the same plugin license in two computers at the same time.

-Juanjo

Thanks Juanjo.

Btw follow up question.
With octane, with two gpus on one machine, does one gpu render one frame and the other gpu another frame? Or do they render the same frame at the same time? So if you have 4 gpu they are simultaneously rendering 4 frames. Seems a waste of allocated memory if they all rendered the same frame.
I remember when octane started 4 years ago it only supported one frame rendered by multiple gpu like vrayspawner. Is there a mode now that can render one frame per gpu? I rarely work on stills and rendering sequences is more useful in my case.
geo_n
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:03 am

juanjgon Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:03 am
Octane uses all the available GPUs to render the current frame. With four GPUs rendering is going to be four times faster, so anyway you are going to be able to render four more frames in the same rendering time. I can't see why it is better render one frame in each GPU, the render time of the sequence to reach the final number of samples is going to be the same.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:08 am

juanjgon Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:08 am
Anyway could be possible render one frame in each GPU if you open a Layout for each GPU available, select only one GPU for rendering, and use the frame range step parameter to interleave the frames sequence. But the final render time is going to be rough the same, and you are going to need more CPU RAM to load and process each copy of the scene.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby geo_n » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:20 am

geo_n Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:20 am
That's what chaosgroup said about vrayspawner years ago. More machines in the pool mean faster single frame rendering. But the speed increase was not linear though and it was actually faster to split a frame and render each segment in multiple machines than a swarm method. Same case for modo swarm rendering afaik.
But I have no idea with octane yet. 3 titans literally means 3 times speed increase would be great :mrgreen: .Shame to waste that memory though.

Anyway could be possible render one frame in each GPU if you open a Layout for each GPU available, select only one GPU for rendering, and use the frame range step parameter to interleave the frames sequence.

Ok that sounds really interesting. That means the vram memory is not wasted since each gpu would load the scenes to memory separately. Thanks!
geo_n
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:35 pm

juanjgon Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:35 pm
geo_n wrote: 3 titans literally means 3 times speed increase would be great

Yes, speed increase is linear in Octane.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D