OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 2.0 DAILY BUILD

Forums: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 2.0 DAILY BUILD
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 2.0 DAILY BUILD

Postby BorisGoreta » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:28 pm

BorisGoreta Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:28 pm
Please add surface picking for instances too. Thanks !
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hdace » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 pm

hdace Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 pm
juanjgon wrote:
hdace wrote:There must be a way to optimize this process.

I am going to review the plugin update code to try to avoid the full recompilation of the scene if it is not needed, in the IPR or in the "update scene" mode rendering. I am not sure what is possible, but I am sure that there is room to improve it.

-Juanjo

Thanks!
Vote for Juanjo!
hdace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MrFurious » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:24 am

MrFurious Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:24 am
juanjgon wrote:
MrFurious wrote:Juanjo is it possible to make it so that unseen items do not interfere with surface picking via IPR? for example I often have wall sections invisible to camera (for cheating impossible camera angles with interior shots)So these invisible wall sections often are the closest item to the camera, but when set to invisible it makes surface picking impossible, as it obscures every other surfrace from IPR, even though it's 'invisible'

Yes, the plugin can avoid the objects unseen by camera in the picking process. I will add this feature for the next release.

-Juanjo

Thanks Juanjo that would be awesome
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am

juanjgon Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am
BorisGoreta wrote:I have a request too. Some scenes with lots of instances of "heavier" objects have long updating scene in GPU phase, when rendering sequences sometimes this phase is as long as rendering phase. (30 seconds each ) This is a waste of time in animations where only camera is moving and instances are always the same. There should be some kind of a switch which would tell Octane to process instances only once at the beginning and update only camera on all subsequent frames.

I have a new test build with a complete rewritten update functions. In my testes with complex scenes with a lot of instances it is sometimes 100 times faster updating GPUs while rendering sequences in "update" mode. But perhaps something is broken ... we should test this build carefully:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/osqqvc7njsfja ... 1_6.p?dl=0

There is a new code analyzing the scene changes that perhaps could break some kind of animations. And I need to test the network rendering to know how the render nodes are updating the scenes.

Let me know how it works with your heavier scenes, or your scenes with a lot of instances.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby atnreg » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm

atnreg Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm
Juanjo, you haven't commented on my detailed post about my idea that you asked for, it's here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40793&start=280#p204782

I'm afraid you have just been too busy with this instance/large scene problem which of course is more important, no doubt. But just in case you didn't notice my reply, it is there :)

Somebody said it is impossible in polygon-based renderers but Octane and its LW plugin do many things that I didn't think was possible so I'm still hoping until you say it is not possible :D

Thank you very much and sorry for me being impatient :)

Antti
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4,Houdini 18 (+Octane 2019),Blender2.81,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
Started: Houdini 2019, Clarisse 2016
No business, just fun :)
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm

juanjgon Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm
atnreg wrote:Juanjo, you haven't commented on my detailed post about my idea that you asked for, it's here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40793&start=280#p204782

I'm afraid you have just been too busy with this instance/large scene problem which of course is more important, no doubt. But just in case you didn't notice my reply, it is there :)

Somebody said it is impossible in polygon-based renderers but Octane and its LW plugin do many things that I didn't think was possible so I'm still hoping until you say it is not possible :D

Thank you very much and sorry for me being impatient :)

Antti

Yes, sorry ... I was thinking about your problem. Really I don't know a way to get this effect in Octane from the renderer point of view, but perhaps could be possible with the right displacement/opacity maps.

The idea is to have a displacement map with 0 displacement in the outside of the leaf (black, if you are using a displacement without shift), and an opacity map with the border expanded 1 or 2 pixels over the the border of the displacement. With this opacity map a little bigger than the displacement map, you could render a closed border in your object ... perhaps with little artifacts, but the render could be fine.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm

MrFurious Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm
juanjgon wrote:
MrFurious wrote:Juanjo is it possible to make it so that unseen items do not interfere with surface picking via IPR? for example I often have wall sections invisible to camera (for cheating impossible camera angles with interior shots)So these invisible wall sections often are the closest item to the camera, but when set to invisible it makes surface picking impossible, as it obscures every other surfrace from IPR, even though it's 'invisible'

Yes, the plugin can avoid the objects unseen by camera in the picking process. I will add this feature for the next release.

-Juanjo

Would it also work if items are set to 100% Dissolve?
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby atnreg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 am

atnreg Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 am
juanjgon wrote:Yes, sorry ... I was thinking about your problem. Really I don't know a way to get this effect in Octane from the renderer point of view,

Ok, that I was afraid of but now I believe it is impossible so I won't dream about it anymore :)

juanjgon wrote:but perhaps could be possible with the right displacement/opacity maps.

The idea is to have a displacement map with 0 displacement in the outside of the leaf (black, if you are using a displacement without shift), and an opacity map with the border expanded 1 or 2 pixels over the the border of the displacement. With this opacity map a little bigger than the displacement map, you could render a closed border in your object ... perhaps with little artifacts, but the render could be fine.

-Juanjo

WOW that sounds like a great idea! It could actually work, of course making such opacity map is quite a job but maybe it can even be made with ImageMagick so it could be automated.
I will look into this, thank you very much! :mrgreen:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx (32c/64t),64GB RAM,NVIDIA GTX 1080ti,Win10
Clarisse 4,Houdini 18 (+Octane 2019),Blender2.81,Fusion360,Onyx,ZBrush,SubstPnt...
Started: Houdini 2019, Clarisse 2016
No business, just fun :)
atnreg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 am

juanjgon Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 am
MrFurious wrote:Would it also work if items are set to 100% Dissolve?

Done ;)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 am

MrFurious Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 am
juanjgon wrote:
MrFurious wrote:Would it also work if items are set to 100% Dissolve?

Done ;)

-Juanjo

I was explaining to my partner what an 'Uber Developer' means.. hope you don't mind using you as an example. ;)

Thanks heaps Juanjo looking forward to the next release.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Lightwave 3D