Newbie questions

Forums: Newbie questions
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Newbie questions

Postby 3Dimensional » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm

3Dimensional Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm
Hi, I bought Octane yesterday and I have a few questions:

- Is there a way to cap the number of samples in the IPR? For many previews, I don't need more than 100 samples, but it keeps going and going, and the problem with this is that the computer becomes very unresponsive even if the priority for the IPR is on low. I have another card that I could put in to prevent this, but it wouldn't leave any breathing room to the one at the top.

- I have a landscape that looks perfect and way better than it looked with the LW renderer, but I have an object in the foreground that looks very overexposed. This object is almost white, about 220 on RGB. The only way to not make it look overexposed is to raise gamma to 2.2, or to use one of the film presets, but that makes everything look washed out. While I can to some extent fix that in post, I love the look of everything else in linear and I prefer it that way. To get the object to look white I have to set its color to dark gray, like 75 on RGB. So far I've been rendering the object separately to composite it, but am I missing some feature that would make everything look fine in the render itself?

- I love the preset materials from the LiveDB in the standalone Octane, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to bring them into Lightwave. Has anybody found a way?

Thanks
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Newbie questions

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm
On the first one, set your Max Samples in Render Target > Kernel node (to 100 etc) and in Octane Plugin Options > Options enable "IPR stop using kernel samples"... Then when you are ready to make final render, just put high samples back in RT > Kernel and you are groovin'.
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:46 pm

juanjgon Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:46 pm
Currently LiveDB is not supported by the Lightwave plugin.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3Dimensional » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm

3Dimensional Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm
FrankPooleFloating wrote:On the first one, set your Max Samples in Render Target > Kernel node (to 100 etc) and in Octane Plugin Options > Options enable "IPR stop using kernel samples"... Then when you are ready to make final render, just put high samples back in RT > Kernel and you are groovin'.

Awesome!! Thanks so much!
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3Dimensional » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:01 pm

3Dimensional Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:01 pm
juanjgon wrote:Currently LiveDB is not supported by the Lightwave plugin.

Are there any plans to make it available? That would be really sweet. Those surfaces are great!
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 pm

juanjgon Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 pm
3Dimensional wrote:

Are there any plans to make it available? That would be really sweet. Those surfaces are great!

I want to try some kind of LiveDB support in the 2.x development cycle.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3Dimensional » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:17 pm

3Dimensional Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:17 pm
If I can suggest another thing that would be great, is to put reset buttons in the nodes for each property. This is something that Lightwave doesn't use a lot either, but sometimes you start changing parameters and then you end up with a mess and you want to start from scratch, in which case a reset button would be very handy.
3Dimensional
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:27 pm

juanjgon Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:27 pm
3Dimensional wrote:If I can suggest another thing that would be great, is to put reset buttons in the nodes for each property. This is something that Lightwave doesn't use a lot either, but sometimes you start changing parameters and then you end up with a mess and you want to start from scratch, in which case a reset button would be very handy.

You can always add a new node to replace the old one, that is created with the default values.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rcallicotte » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 pm

rcallicotte Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 pm
AWESOME.

juanjgon wrote:
3Dimensional wrote:

I want to try some kind of LiveDB support in the 2.x development cycle.

-Juanjo
rcallicotte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D