octane preset hop out

Forums: octane preset hop out
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

octane preset hop out

Postby jwfvr » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:01 am

jwfvr Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:01 am
I've noticed that material presets created by using the "save as preset" always hop out - or never go into the group I drop them on. presets I make through the typical modo approach don't do this. is this just me?
jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: octane preset hop out

Postby face_off » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:39 pm

face_off Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:39 pm
Hi. Yes, there are some issues around loading presets. Could you provide some screenshots so I can see exactly the issue you are experiencing?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jwfvr » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:35 am

jwfvr Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:35 am
attached is a video - not sure if this is ok to upload - basically if its a preset made with the octane button it has this problem, if I make the preset with the "modo" workflow it does not.
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] material_hop_out.mp4 [ 12.33 MiB | Viewed 2891 times ]

jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:08 am

face_off Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:08 am
This is how loading a preset has worked since the function was introduced. It would be great if it loaded into the Material Mask, but it doesn't. The preset .lxp file is encoded, so it makes it pretty hard to determine why this happens. I have raised some issues with Foundry over the saving of presets (including the icon not being set), and they have resolved some issues, which will be released in a "future release" of Modo, but it is not clear if this specific issue is fixed. In the meantime, I recommend not using the 'Save Preset' button to save presets.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 am

face_off Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 am
Out of curiosity - what steps are you using to save the preset in the Modo workflow where it drags and loads into a Material Mask please?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jwfvr » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:09 am

jwfvr Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:09 am
I have been following Funk's advice and using modo 15.1 to save presets - if I create a material, add textures, add octane override, then put all of that into another group (that is important) and save it as a preset, it works perfectly. the textures load and it lands directly into the material I place drop it on, the schematic pops right up. obviously this is a lot of extra work - I like the octane create preset - way faster and gives the automatic preset icon - if it would stay where I drop it and could load the textures into the shader tree, it would be perfect. Modo 16 has a totally different set of options when saving presets and the are all confusing and don't work as they should (imo) I know these issues have been raised in the past.
Attachments
preset_options_modo_16.1v7.png
when loaded into modo_16.1v7.PNG
modo_15.1v1_save_preset.png
jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo