Nasty shadow on displaced material

Forums: Nasty shadow on displaced material
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Nasty shadow on displaced material

Postby rubberchicken » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:31 am

rubberchicken Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:31 am
I've applied a texture displacement to the ground plane, good quality 4K map. I set it to 2K on the displacement node LOD, which seemed enough. However, the shadow under the jar becomes really dark with a sharp termination. I found that setting the map to 4K improved it a lot but only setting to 8K made it equal in smoothness to the plane without the displacement. Needless to say setting the LOD lower makes the shadow wider again, but still with a hard edge. I'm not understanding why that resolution can be affecting the shadow. The light from a regular Modo area light.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230111_081946.png
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Nasty shadow on displaced material

Postby elsksa » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 pm

elsksa Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 pm
Hi, interesting case. I'm a Standalone user and don't know much about Octane Modo, funk would. However, out of curiosity, by LOD, do you mean mesh-LOD or is it related to a native Modo feature?

What about scene-scale and its correlation with Rey Epsilon?
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rubberchicken » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:05 pm

rubberchicken Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:05 pm
By LOD I mean level of detail in the Octane Displacement node, it seems to be called that in the schematic but it is where I can select the resolution for the displacement. Yep, I tried lowering the ray epsilon already. Scene scale is real life... the jar is about 75mm diameter. I'm pretty new to using octane. It's a head-scratcher.
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rubberchicken » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:15 pm

rubberchicken Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:15 pm
Ah. I have been directed to the docs on displacement for another topic and now see that increasing the displacement LOD can reduce cast shadow artifacts. As I did find. I really do not see having to increase to the maximum of 8K to remove the artefacts as being acceptable. That seems a very strange normal. As is not being able to use both a normal map and a displacement map on a single mesh. Very strange.

Quote…
Level Of Detail - Adjusts map detail quality. Higher values reduce artifacts seen in shadows cast on the Displacement surface and brings out finer details, but it increases render time.

https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_STA/S ... cement.htm
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:28 pm

elsksa Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:28 pm
Indeed. I personally refer to it rather as a "texture displacement resolution control" (at displacement node level) since "LOD" is often commonly associated to meshes, even in offline rendering (since it's typical of game-dev workflows too). EXR + the appropriate disp-tex' "LOD" would usually yield an expected result as long as the scene is correctly setup (such as the scale).
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:58 am

funk Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:58 am
We've talked about this on skype, but texture displacement is voxel based, so can be really fast, but has several limitations and can produce artifacts.

It's great if the artifacts aren't noticeable, but once you start running into issues, you need to use more traditional vertex displacement (the "vertex displacement" node).

Since you are working at small real world scales (small product shots) you will almost always need to reduce your ray epsilon (try dividing by 10, so "10um", or "0.00001") to avoid shadow artifacts.

Texture displacement doesn't respect the kernel ray epsilon value the same way as geometry though (it uses larger values), so this may not help in this particular case.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rubberchicken » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:11 am

rubberchicken Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:11 am
I tried vertex displacement and that seems to be fine, once I saw the note about loading the Modo cage.
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo