Displacement texture UV overrides diffuse UV (bugged)

Forums: Displacement texture UV overrides diffuse UV (bugged)
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Displacement texture UV overrides diffuse UV (bugged)

Postby rubberchicken » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:36 am

rubberchicken Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:36 am
I have a mesh with two UVs, one is used for the general texturing and one is used for the graphics. They are named correctly and mixing both as diffuse maps works as expected. However, when I plug the graphics map into texture displacement the other general texture images assume the UV used for the displacement. This seems quite similar to what you see in the Modo viewport where it can only display using one UV.
Last edited by rubberchicken on Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Displacement texture UV overrides diffuse UV

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:01 am

face_off Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:01 am
Hi

I vaguely recall that displacement mapping will only work on the 1st UV map for the mesh (this is an Octane limitation). Does that answer your question? If not, can you send me a scene which shows this issue please?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rubberchicken » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:53 am

rubberchicken Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:53 am
I can confirm that the displacement was working in the above scenario, but it was changing the UV of the diffuse to the one it was using. Indeed the displacement was in the second slot as far as the Modo naming went. I swapped the vertex maps contents so that the displacement was in the first listed and diffuse in the second. Displacement worked as before but the diffuse now uses the correct UV. Pretty inconvenient behaviour. I'm used to working with a very flexible UV system I guess. This scenario would be a pain if you had a large scene and decide you want to add a displacement texture on something, you have to rename and order every texture in the scene unless you had already named things in a way that displacement UV would list first. Or if you are bringing in assets from third parties or other jobs.
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:02 am

face_off Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:02 am
I can confirm that the displacement was working in the above scenario, but it was changing the UV of the diffuse to the one it was using.
Would it be possible to send me a sample scene showing this so I can get a better understanding of what is happening please?

For reference, the manual has some information on this at https://docs.otoy.com/ModoH/ModoPluginManual.htm#Modo/MesheswithMultipleUVs.htm although it does not cover the specific limitation when working with Displacement maps. There is also some information at https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_STA/StandaloneManual.htm#StandaloneSTA/TextureDisplacement.htm

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rubberchicken » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:08 pm

rubberchicken Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:08 pm
Ah sorry I forgot to subscribe to the topic again. This forum software. :roll:

I'd already read up on the multiple UV workflow which is a pain but I get it. This seems a different issue though. Happy to send the scene... what's the process for that?
rubberchicken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:43 am

face_off Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:43 am
I'd already read up on the multiple UV workflow which is a pain but I get it. This seems a different issue though. Happy to send the scene... what's the process for that?
PM the scene to me here via the mail icon under my photo.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Foundry Modo