directional light and environment

Forums: directional light and environment
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

directional light and environment

Postby spigolo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:25 pm

spigolo Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:25 pm
Hello,
I don't know if I do something wrong, but I have this issue:
If I create a scene and play with the directional light and set the environment as daylight everything works fine, i rotate the light and the sun and sky changes accordingly.
Then if I want to try to light the scene with an hdri image I import it and set the environment to lighting and set Octane to use the environment as texture and it works like it should be.
Till here everything works as described in the instruction, but from this moment if I want to switchback to use the Octane sky and sun removing the hdri and setting back the environment to daylight
the environment switches but despite I rotate the directional light the sun never moves...everytime I have to reimport all items in a new scene and restart with the environment experiments.

It seems that once you switched to texture environment when you switch again to daylight the directional light doesn't work anymore...

Any clue?

Thx
3dsign studio
Advanced visual communication
http://www.3dsign.it
spigolo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: directional light and environment

Postby funk » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:59 pm

funk Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:59 pm
I don't know exactly how you are getting yourself in this state, but you may be loading modo presets that change the environment material, or deleting the directional light etc

The Octane plugin will always look at the environment material > "sun light" drop down, and use that light for the sun.

If it gets set to (none), just reselect the directional light again

env_sun_light.png
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo