Octane Renderfarm

Forums: Octane Renderfarm
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane Renderfarm

Postby Maestrorobertus » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:52 am

Maestrorobertus Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:52 am
I looked for renderfarms supporting Octane and all I found where some rental services, where had to install your own license to render.
Does no one render online with Octane?
I mean, why isn’t there any farm, where I can send my Modo file too and get the rendered frames back, like every other render does?
Do I miss something?
Maestrorobertus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Renderfarm

Postby james_conkle » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:38 pm

james_conkle Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:38 pm
There are farms like Rebus and Drop & Render. Although I might suggest trying out Otoy's RNDR platform. I have a scene rendering on there right now and through Rebus it'd cost $150 for the scene while on RNDR it's $35 as a similar speed. The only catch is you have to export your scenes as an animated ORBX which for some might result in large files but in my case my scenes normally package up (and .zip) well - about 200MB - but I've had liquid simulations export ORBX as large as 20GB.
Octane C4D Plugin 2021.1 / C4D R25.015
UNIT 0: 2080ti / 6700K / 64GB / 500w
UNIT 1: 2x 3090 / 3970x / 128GB ECC / 1600w
UNIT 2: 5500M / 9980HK / 32GB / 95w
RNDR Artist Calculator
james_conkle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Maestrorobertus » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Maestrorobertus Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:22 pm
Haven’t found a single that support nativ Octane in Apps like Modo or Blender. Best is renting a server and install your own license… if you got a lot time.
Yeah been there with standalone in Vray, it worked well, except for deformed mesh and image sequences as textures. 30 GB and above upload is not nice.
I trued to understand how RNDR works, but there is so much to read and no clear advice. I just want a farm where I up and download, no articles about philosophy etc.
Maestrorobertus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby portnicki » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:57 pm

portnicki Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:57 pm
Maestrorobertus wrote:Haven’t found a single that support nativ Octane in Apps like Modo or Blender. Best is renting a server and install your own license… if you got a lot time.
Yeah been there with standalone in Vray, it worked well, except for deformed mesh and image sequences as textures. 30 GB and above upload is not nice.
I trued to understand how RNDR works, but there is so much to read and no clear advice. I just want a farm where I up and download, no articles about philosophy etc.

Well - RNDR works pretty much how you described it - you just upload your scene, specify the frame range and render.
You just need to export your scene to orbx file, like james said.
I recently tried it with a pretty heavy scene I had in modo - lot's of animated particles, some deformers, replicators etc. To my surprise everything worked no problem. Even though I've used the wrong service - ORC instead of RNDR. Otoy has two, almost identical services - one is obsolete, but you can still use it (ORC), RNDR is the one you should go for.

I've ended up rendering my scene locally, on a RTX3060, because, contrary to Otoys narrative, it wasn't that super cheap. It was fast, sure, but rendering locally (and paying just for electricity) turned out much, much more cost effective for me. If I'm ever in a rush to render 1000 frames and my client accepts the extra cost - I will come back and use the service though.
i7 2600k + nVidia TITAN black
https://www.behance.net/Auror
portnicki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo