animated mesh with 'Render Curves' parameter

Forums: animated mesh with 'Render Curves' parameter
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

animated mesh with 'Render Curves' parameter

Postby portnicki » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:18 pm

portnicki Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:18 pm
Hey Paul,

I've got another one for you :roll:

So I have some polygons and some curves within one Mesh.
Polys have material A (with texture displacement) and curves have material B.

I'm using a Bend Effector on the mesh to animate it. As long as I try to render a still images - the bend effector, the displacement and the 'Render Curves' works fine.
But when I try to render an animation, or if I change the camera view - basically anything that makes Octane's viewport reload - the mesh dissapears :cry: I'm left with just the curves. If I turn OFF the "render curves" parameter - my polygons come back, but I dont have the curves anymore. This looks like a bug of some kind.

Yeah I know that I could separate the curves to a different mesh, but the problem is I have a bunch of different Effector already applied to the mesh and I would need to apply them by hand all over again to just the curves. Which would take way too much time that I don't have right now :/

Not sure what is the problem here - I was thinking that it's maybe the displacment, but when I got rid of it nothing changed, so I guess it's not that.
Attachments
test_scene.zip
(7.1 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
render_curves_turned_on_animation.png
render_curves_turned_on.png
render_curves_turned_off.png

[ Play Quicktime file ] modo_viewport_animation.mov [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 1150 times ]

i7 2600k + nVidia TITAN black
https://www.behance.net/Auror
portnicki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: animated mesh with 'Render Curves' parameter

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:21 am

face_off Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:21 am
Hi

I am pretty sure that if there are any curves on a Modo Mesh item, then the polygons will not render in Octane (only the curves will). So you will need to split the mesh into 2 (which I understand you would prefer to not do). Unfortunately it a limitation of the current plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby portnicki » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:31 am

portnicki Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:31 am
face_off wrote:Hi

I am pretty sure that if there are any curves on a Modo Mesh item, then the polygons will not render in Octane (only the curves will). So you will need to split the mesh into 2 (which I understand you would prefer to not do). Unfortunately it a limitation of the current plugin.

Paul

ehh that's what I was afraid off. Maybe an idea for a future fix?

This is a pretty common thing to have a deformed mesh with fur on top (animal, human).
I'm baking modo Fur material to Curves most of the time. Fortunatelly modo can also bake to poly strips instead of curves. It's just heavier later to load to Octane.

Thanks Paul
portnicki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:34 am

face_off Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:34 am
portnicki wrote:
face_off wrote:Hi

Paul

ehh that's what I was afraid off. Maybe an idea for a future fix?

This is a pretty common thing to have a deformed mesh with fur on top (animal, human).
I'm baking modo Fur material to Curves most of the time. Fortunatelly modo can also bake to poly strips instead of curves. It's just heavier later to load to Octane.

Thanks Paul
I think this would be very hard to change. It has been this way since the very first release of the plugin. Octane would need a separate Mesh item for the mesh to the stand hair, so this would be a lot of work to build into the existing plugin code structure (which assume a 1 Modo Mesh to 1 Octane Mesh relationship). So I don't think it's something that could be implemented in the short or medium term, sorry.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby portnicki » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:55 pm

portnicki Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:55 pm
understood. Thanks for clearing this up.
portnicki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo