projecting an image over all other materials

Forums: projecting an image over all other materials
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

projecting an image over all other materials

Postby jwfvr » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:11 am

jwfvr Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:11 am
Capture.PNG
hi - this is sort of a decal situation, and I get how to use an image with an alpha channel or png to create a label or such on a particular material, but what I want to do is have an image project over any object/material in scene that I move the texture locator in front of (planar projection)) - this is quite simple in the modo renderer, but when I do the same setup in Octane, the image projects correctly but masks out all other surfaces based on the choices listed under "border mode". attached is a shot of what I am trying to achieve. I searched everywhere related to decals but I can't find an example to do this. any help would be greatly appreciated!
jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: projecting an image over all other materials

Postby funk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 am

funk Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 am
This one can be a little complicated. If you want a decal projecting over several materials, you'll need to make clever use of schematic's "copy node(s) to" menu, to use the appropriate nodes in several Octane materials.

You can do the decal over a color by using a composite texture. Here is an example where I'm using a decal that actually has an alpha, projected over 2 materials.

In this example, I'm also using texture locators from the shader tree, which can help you visualise it in opengl (this isn't needed though).

funk_decal_projection_over_multiple_mats.png
Attachments
funk_decal_projection_over_multiple_mats.zip
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jwfvr » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:38 pm

jwfvr Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:38 pm
ok got it! mostly - thank you. it seems like even if you are using a "regular" image, you still need to make an alpha channel to get this to work? it wasn't working for me until I did that.
jwfvr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:46 pm

funk Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:46 pm
Correct
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo