weird glitch rendering materials

Forums: weird glitch rendering materials
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

weird glitch rendering materials

Postby Dingbat » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:03 am

Dingbat Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:03 am
i've been working on this project for a while and Octane has been working as normal.

yesterday some glass and water materials suddenly started rendering solid black and some other metals are rendering with completely different scene materials.

if i move the camera it renders fine again but i need specific views which are refusing to render correctly.

i thought it might be a corrupt file but i've now tried numerous previously saved files and the issue is still there.

really don't understand why this is happening and i really need to get this working as i have deadlines approaching.

other things i've tried:

reinstalling the modo plugin
deleting MODO prefs

it's worth repeating, the scene renders fine at some angles but refuses to render correctly depending on where the camera is. and it's random too, so navigating to the same spot doesn't necessarily mean the same behaviour.

also worth repeating everything was working fine til yesterday and scenes i haven't opened in weeks that previously worked fine (including the views i need) are now refusing to render.

any ideas pls?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: weird glitch rendering materials

Postby Dingbat » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:08 am

Dingbat Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:08 am
i've opened a completely different scene that i completed a while ago and the same behaviour there, so this can't be scene specific

is there a way to do a clean install of Octane and Octane for MODO?

has anyone else come across this issue?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dingbat » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:29 am

Dingbat Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:29 am
i've rolled back to OctaneRender_for_Modo13-14_2021_1_0_174_STUDIO and so far so good
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:48 pm

funk Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:48 pm
I'm going to assume you are using one of the 2021.1 builds. These are still considered experimental. You should not be using them for real work yet.

The specular / camera issue you mention will be fixed in a future build
viewtopic.php?p=403176#p403176
viewtopic.php?p=403194#p403194

I have also bugged Paul with an issue related to metals, but it would have been good for you to get a scene to him as well, so we are sure it's the same problem.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dingbat » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:41 am

Dingbat Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:41 am
funk wrote:I'm going to assume you are using one of the 2021.1 builds. These are still considered experimental. You should not be using them for real work yet.

thanks funk - i should keep an eye on the experimental threads.

yes, i wanted to use one of the new AOV features so installed the experimental version. shame there's no easy way to just switch versions (or maybe there is?).

unfortunately right now i have a lot on so am reluctant to reinstall a version i know is not working in case i wake the sleeping dog :o

if i find some time though i will post re the metal issue, but hopefully it's connected to these other specular issues and it does seem that way
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo