Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Forums: Saving passes takes longer than render time...
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Saving passes takes longer than render time...

Postby kostache » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:52 pm

kostache Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:52 pm
face_off wrote:
The "Load cage" is necessary because of some animated objects with shifted pivot points or sometimes even for simply animated objects - otherwise they're jumping to wrong place during animation's rendering.
From my testing, loading a Mesh item with "Load Cage" enabled is hugely slower that without it enabled. For example, a Mesh that takes 2 secs to load normally seems to take about 1 minute with "Load Cage" enabled, so if you can get your scene rendering with "Load Cage", that should help your performance issues. I couldn't reproduce any animating issues with Load Cage off. Are you able to send me a scene containing just a mesh object with "jumps" to the wrong place during the animation please>

B.t.w. I tried to reduce AO samples to 256 to receive a nearly similar to beauty pass rendering time, but there I've got a strange issue with rendered frames saving - seems like Octane trying to save frame files too late - when the next frame's render is already started and we're getting very noisy picture of these just started to render frames instead completed ones.
Which version of the plugin are you using please?

Paul

Hello Paul,

thanks for your answer.
As far as I told, unticked "load cage" making some of animated objects jump away from the required positions, but frame changing time becomes a way faster - you're right! Please, take a look at the pics embedded - one of the renders have the "load cage" enabled, one disabled. These objects are on the wrong place: VT4_Turret_Left (VT4)VT4_Turret_Left (VT4) (2), ColletChuck (VT4), OppositeChuck (VT4) - they're all have a shifted pivot point. I know it's possible to use an old way with locator parenting, but this approach will work too, I think. My version is 2019.1.4.154 Enterprise
Attachments
test_LoadCageOn.png
Load cage is on
test_NoLoadCage.PNG
Load cage is off
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 am

face_off Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 am
My version is 2019.1.4.154 Enterprise
Thanks for the additional information. If I render the animation with "Load Cage" for VT4_Turret_Left (VT4) OFF, then I can no shifting pivot point errors (in fact, there is no movement on that Mesh item at all). I am keen to working out why you are having these issues. Are you able to try the latest Octane 2020.1 version of the plugin please, and tell me if it exhibits the same problem, and if so, could you please send me a stripped down scene, containing just the mesh item which is having shifting pivot point errors.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby kostache » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:50 pm

kostache Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:50 pm
face_off wrote:
Thanks for the additional information. If I render the animation with "Load Cage" for VT4_Turret_Left (VT4) OFF, then I can no shifting pivot point errors (in fact, there is no movement on that Mesh item at all). I am keen to working out why you are having these issues. Are you able to try the latest Octane 2020.1 version of the plugin please, and tell me if it exhibits the same problem, and if so, could you please send me a stripped down scene, containing just the mesh item which is having shifting pivot point errors.

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,

I've tried to use a 2020 x3 version and seems like the problem with shifted pivot isn't exist there, but I met one another - my network nodes refuse to work (screenshot is embedded). I have to reinstall 2019 back in order to proceed with render. B.t.w. why 2020 Octane wrote me, that I have only 7 days of license left (actually, I have more, than 250) - Is it a kind of beta issue?
Thanks for your help.

Konstantin
Attachments
RenderFailed.png
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 am

face_off Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 am
I've tried to use a 2020 x3 version and seems like the problem with shifted pivot isn't exist there, but I met one another - my network nodes refuse to work (screenshot is embedded). I have to reinstall 2019 back in order to proceed with render. B.t.w. why 2020 Octane wrote me, that I have only 7 days of license left (actually, I have more, than 250) - Is it a kind of beta issue?
The 7 day license remaining is an Octane issue, and will be fixed in a future release. Do you have the Octane 2020.1 RC3 installed as the network node? The network node and the Modo plugin Octane versions much match.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby kostache » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:54 am

kostache Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:54 am
face_off wrote:
The 7 day license remaining is an Octane issue, and will be fixed in a future release. Do you have the Octane 2020.1 RC3 installed as the network node? The network node and the Modo plugin Octane versions much match.

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,

I've no any 2020.1 RC3 found - the latest one available is 2020.1 RC1. Could you share a link to me?

Thanks in advance

Konstantin
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kostache » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 am

kostache Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks

Paul[/quote]

Hello Paul,

seems like I've found a reason with jumping of objects, that has a shifted pivot. It's happening only if you do a preview of the frame out of current preview range. For instance, if we have a range from 540 to 550, as on a pic below, and we're going to render a preview for frame 1000 this issue will be happened.

Konstantin

FrameRange.PNG
FrameRange.PNG (10.89 KiB) Viewed 3573 times
kostache
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 am

face_off Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 am
seems like I've found a reason with jumping of objects, that has a shifted pivot. It's happening only if you do a preview of the frame out of current preview range. For instance, if we have a range from 540 to 550, as on a pic below, and we're going to render a preview for frame 1000 this issue will be happened.
Object Motion blur (and Camera Motion Blur) only works for the current render range, so rendering a frame outside this range is going to get an odd result.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby immortalartscom » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 am

immortalartscom Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 am
i came here, because i have the same issue. saving takes AGES! but i use c4d 2024 with octane 2023.
3 years later, this still is an issue...
immortal-arts | filmproduction | soundstudio
http://www.immortal-arts.com
immortalartscom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:40 pm

frankmci Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:40 pm
immortalartscom wrote:i came here, because i have the same issue. saving takes AGES! but i use c4d 2024 with octane 2023.
3 years later, this still is an issue...

This being a very old Modo thread, you'll probably get a better response on the C4D or core app forums. Also providing the usual system/network specs and a sample scene files will save a lot of back and forth.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo