Rendering Alembic Curves within Modo

Forums: Rendering Alembic Curves within Modo
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Rendering Alembic Curves within Modo

Postby TheImageFaculty » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm

TheImageFaculty Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm
BTW just tried having Live Geometry Update and Reload Mesh Each Frame... activated under Octane mesh properties and no change.
The Image Faculty ApS
https://theimagefaculty.com
TheImageFaculty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 pm

face_off Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 pm
OK, tried via Open / File and it brings up the same options as Import which I was using. I can indeed bring in a single frame of the alembic animation this way, as you say it gets imported as a mesh layer with the render curves option.

However I need to bring it in as an animated sequence, so when I Open/Import it and select Import All Frames in the Alembic Load Options, it comes in as a non mesh layer, as in the previous screen grab I posted.

So as far as I can tell the problem remains, there is no way to load in an animated alembic sequence and have it render via the plugin? As mentioned the behaviour in stand-alone is as expected, it brings in the alembic per-frame with no bother.
Hi Darren - you are right. I have look more at the tip2.abc file you sent me - and I cannot get it to render correctly in Octane Standalone. Do you have an OCS which renders that .abc file correctly pls?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby TheImageFaculty » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 am

TheImageFaculty Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 am
Hi Paul,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4752079/alembicTest/tip2_SA.ocs

Here is an .ocs with a camera in the correct position so that you can see the imported alembic. You will need to import, then plug in the previously provided tip2.abc and scrub the time-line to see the animated alembic curves (I have added a note in the node graph with details).

Hope that helps,
Thanks,
Darren
The Image Faculty ApS
TheImageFaculty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 am

face_off Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 am
Hi Darren. I have spent some more time on this, and the ideal workaround would be to load the animated hair ABC file into Octane Standalone and save as ORBX and then load that ORBX into the Modo plugin as a proxy. However, there are two issues with this approach. 1) The plugin is loading the proxy host mesh over the proxy OCS/ORBX in certain situations, and this is fixed in the next plugin release (3.6.0.118), and 2) I cannot be certain, but I think there is an issue where hair segments are not be copied from the ABC file when using certain Octane API calls, and I have reported this to Otoy, who can investigate in more detail. Can you pls leave the 2 files you posted for downloading in this thread in place, so Otoy can access them.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby TheImageFaculty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am

TheImageFaculty Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am
Hi Paul,
OK I will test this workaround and let you know if I have any questions.

I can leave the links live, no problem.

Thanks for taking a look into the issue.

Darren
The Image Faculty ApS
TheImageFaculty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Foundry Modo