OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:51 am

face_off Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:51 am
Stupid question, is it possible to bake out texture maps without reflections?
I'm not sure Dino - I suggest asking in the general Octane forum.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:01 am

Hesekiel2517 Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:01 am
Yes, you can bake textures without reflections. Just enable the diffuse pass. You can also bake most of the other passes.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm

face_off Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm
Following is a pre-release of the next version. It contains an important fix where image sequences were crashing Modo. I will resolve the two KNOWN ISSUE's in the next few days.

3.6.3.118 Pre-release
- Added Frame Step to the Kernel->Animation panel, to allow progressing more than 1 frame when rendering an animation
- Removed the empty Defaults panels
- Fixed issue where daylight animations were not rendering correctly in animations and not exporting correctly with octane.saveAnimation
- Rewrote the sub-frame animation system. Added "Animation Samples Per Frame" to allow sub-sampling of Live Geometry Update mesh items. Increase this property value to increase the number of samples taken between Modo frames. You must refresh the scene in order for this setting to take effect.
- The Modo Material Round Edge Width property now translates to the Octane Rounded Edges Radius pin. You will still need to tick Live Geometry Update and Weld Vertices on the mesh using the material in order for edge rounding to render correctly
- Added a check prior to opening the Viewport to ensure there is sufficient RAM free to accommodate the Maximum Vertices setting
- Fixed crash with Image Sequences (introduced with the OCIO support change in 3.6.3.117). At this stage, image sequences will be assumed to have a gamma of 2.2
- On-the-fly Modo light conversions now update when you scrub the Modo timeline and render as an animation

*** KNOWN ISSUE - On-the-fly light conversions are not being saved during the octane.saveAnimation process - and will cause an Octane Log warning
*** KNOWN ISSUE - Image Sequences are not rendering correctly when the first image is numbered with an index greater than 0

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/8e/a6/2f/f2/OctaneRender_for_Modo901_3_6_3_118_64bit.exe

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:08 pm

MrFurious Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:08 pm
Thanks guys, I'll research this further in the general forums.

I have noticed an oddity when rendering out with the baking camera. If the resolution is below a certain size, it appears to change the scale of some textures, like with cloth, carpet, any small/repeatable texture. It looks like it's not anti aliasing correctly.

This is how it should look:
sofa_1.jpg

If I lower the resolution it appears the texture has been scaled up, ie. more coarse:
sofa_2.jpg

I can upload more examples if this isn't clear.

Cheers,
Dino.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v1adut » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm

v1adut Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm
What I found might be subjective!
Last edited by v1adut on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 pm

face_off Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 pm
It looks like the behavior changed night and day, where is the previous contrast I had on my renders ?
Can you post a screenshot so we can see the issue? What was the version number of the "previous version"? Have you read the release notes for 3.6.3.117?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v1adut » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 pm

v1adut Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 pm
face_off wrote:
It looks like the behavior changed night and day, where is the previous contrast I had on my renders ?
Can you post a screenshot so we can see the issue? What was the version number of the "previous version"? Have you read the release notes for 3.6.3.117?

Paul

Hi Paul I think the issue with the specular map imported from substance painter. The whole material looks darker. Also it looks like the gama filters are more saturated and they look odd, now only the linear gama with 2.2 settings make the materials and renders looks ok. Have you made any change on octane how it interprets hdr light studio 4?

Thank you so much for making the plug-in integration for modo-substance.
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 am

face_off Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 am
Hi Paul I think the issue with the specular map imported from substance painter. The whole material looks darker.
Yes - it looks like you need to change the Effect from Specular Amount to Specular Color, and change the gamma to 2.2 for the specular Substance Output. I have sent an email to the Substance developers to see if this is a bug or not.

Have you made any change on octane how it interprets hdr light studio 4?
No - but there have been a lot of changes to the plugin which might effect the HDRLS plugin. Can you show me a sample of the problem you are having pls?

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby yoshikai » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 am

yoshikai Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 am
Hi Paul
Thank you for update plugin!!
I did Rendering using Seq image.
It works!!
Thanks.
I also tested animating daylight scene.
but sunlight still kept first frame position.
I add only two key frame in Directional light physical sun time channel.
Am I missing something?
I attached My Scene file.
Would you check my test scene?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9g-9dXHOtrXa2xzYmFkdmlzbUE

BR
yoshikai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v1adut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm

v1adut Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm
face_off wrote:
Hi Paul I think the issue with the specular map imported from substance painter. The whole material looks darker.
Yes - it looks like you need to change the Effect from Specular Amount to Specular Color, and change the gamma to 2.2 for the specular Substance Output. I have sent an email to the Substance developers to see if this is a bug or not.

Have you made any change on octane how it interprets hdr light studio 4?
No - but there have been a lot of changes to the plugin which might effect the HDRLS plugin. Can you show me a sample of the problem you are having pls?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am using octane over rides and textures exported from substance painter. I use the maps for specular, diffuse, normal to be 2.2 rgb textures, and roughness to be 1 grayscale.
My issues now is with how octane intereprets lights after "the big change " especially for Kodak Ectacrome 64CD, Kodak Ectacrome 64TCD Kodak Kodacromee 64CD., DSCS3153 3 4 5 6 .
I think when you change the default baseline from linear to 2.2 something went wrong with each preset before response time. They look over saturated, darker, unusable. I think they had a specific gamma response time that is not there now, and back then the response time default was 1. The light interpreter worked from that 1 with their gamma multipliers. Now since 2.2 is the new scale, all looks wrong. Please check on this I feel like I lost a good render, and I am considering modo again.
v1adut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo