OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for Modo [TEST and STABLE]

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 am

face_off Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 am
I'm trying to drive a couple input values using the float node, but it doesn't work for a couple of inputs, namely:

Octane RGB Image ---> Power
Octane Color Correction ---> Brightness
Both of these inputs are textures, not values - so use a Greyscale Color.

If I change the 'Default 8-bit Colorspace' and 'Default 16-bit Colorspace' to sRGB. nothing seems to happen and the render looks the same.
I was mistaken on the plugin reading the Modo colorspace - it assumes you have it set to Linear. I will look into your Color Correct problem once the next version of Octane is release (since 3.06 is producing some Cuda issues that may be the cause of the problem).

When I open the NodeGraph and edit input nodes - delete some of them - and close the NodeGraph - the User Channel list for Octane NodeGraph still contains old inputs. Shortly speaking UserChannels is not being updated fully when closing NodeGraph. I have to manually delete channels. Is it possible to automate it?
I will look into this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:12 am

face_off Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:12 am
If I change the 'Default 8-bit Colorspace' and 'Default 16-bit Colorspace' to sRGB. nothing seems to happen and the render looks the same.
Further analysis shows this is an Octane bug (it happens in Octane Standalone too). In summary, adding a Color Correction node between the Environment Texture and an Image node appears to be bugging either Importance Sampling, or Gamma. I have reported it to Otoy.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:40 pm

MrFurious Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:40 pm
face_off wrote:
I'm trying to drive a couple input values using the float node, but it doesn't work for a couple of inputs, namely:

Octane RGB Image ---> Power
Octane Color Correction ---> Brightness
Both of these inputs are textures, not values - so use a Greyscale Color.

Paul

PERFECT :)

face_off wrote:
I was mistaken on the plugin reading the Modo colorspace - it assumes you have it set to Linear. I will look into your Color Correct problem once the next version of Octane is release (since 3.06 is producing some Cuda issues that may be the cause of the problem).

Paul

True, now I think of it when I first started using Octane I was advised to setup all my scenes using Linear CC. Come to think of it, we were talking about 8-bit and 16-bit colourspace, but these HDRI environment images are all 32-bit so I'm not sure how that would work anyway.

Many thanks,
Dino.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:09 pm

face_off Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:09 pm
face_off wrote:
Further analysis shows this is an Octane bug (it happens in Octane Standalone too). In summary, adding a Color Correction node between the Environment Texture and an Image node appears to be bugging either Importance Sampling, or Gamma. I have reported it to Otoy.

Paul
Otoy's response on this issue....."Currently importance sampling is only supported for image textures. We will extend it to support other textures in the future." So it is a limitation in the current version of Octane.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:54 pm

MrFurious Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:54 pm
Thanks Paul. Good to know this is a known issue & Otoy will be looking at this in a later build.

I must remember to check issues with Standalone first before posting!

Many thanks,
Dino.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Visualize » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:37 am

Visualize Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:37 am
Hey Paul,

Does triplanar texture work with displacements and or spec maps?

edit : Haven't had the chance to experiment with triplanar textures yet.

Thanks in advance.
Visualize
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 am

face_off Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 am
Does triplanar texture work with displacements and or spec maps?
I'm not sure - you will need to try it yourself.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm

MrFurious Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm
Hi Paul I noticed a couple oddities when using Front Projection Mapping;

- It seems to be locked to the first camera in the scene and texture projection settings won't allow you to change 'projection camera'
- Does not work with the cameras' Film Offset, both X & Y (the texture moves with the camera and clipping occurs at the frame edges)

Cheers,
Dino.
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 am

face_off Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 am
Following is a pre-release (Modo901/10 Windows) of the next version of the plugin. It contains some big changes - so posting this new for feedback. Suggest not using this with your production scenes just yet.

3.6.1.117 PRE-RELEASE
- Compiled with Octane 3.06 TEST 2 (includes Adaptive Sampling, new Bokeh pins, new Pano Camera DOF pins, new Add/Subtract/Comparison/Triplanar texture nodes, and Normal and Displacement mapping enhancements
- Resolved issue with some non-Mesh item geometry meshes loading twice
- Modo Render Region channel modifiers are now evaluated when setting the Octane render region
- The following Imager defaults have changed to better match Modo - Response now defaults to Linear, Gamma now defaults to 2.2 and Vignetting now defaults to 0
- VERY IMPORTANT: The plugin will now correctly convert the Modo scene and image ocio colorspace settings to the Octane Image Gamma values. This means if you have saved scenes with the 8 and 16 bit colorspace at a setting other than Linear (as per the manual), then Image gamma values will change when you render with this release of the plugin
- Changed the default values for the Camera settings Use Modo Film Offset, Use Modo Clipping Distance, Use Modo Focus Distance and Use Modo F-Stop for Aperture to ON
- The default Environment is now the Texture Environment, rather than Daylight Environment, and Use Modo Environment Power and Rotation properties are now defaulted to ON
- Fixed issue where the octane.saveAnimation command was not exporting animated Environment channels

There are still some more changes to go into this release, including some improvements with Modo Area Light compatibility.

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/09/73/3d/c8/OctaneRender_for_Modo901_3_6_1_117_64bit.exe

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MildMustard » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 am

MildMustard Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 am
Thanks for the update Paul! Will be testing it out today.
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo