Thinking of getting the Modo plugin

Forums: Thinking of getting the Modo plugin
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Thinking of getting the Modo plugin

Postby Elele » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 am

Elele Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 am
Howdy,

I was thinking of getting the Modo plugin. Or is it better to hold of a little with Octane 3 around the corner, or can I upgrade for free?

Does the plugin use the shader tree like Modo, or does it work like the Octane stand alone? Untill now I mostly used Modo to model, but I hoping to change that :)
I find the shader tree in Modo a bit weird.

Does the animation work? Nothing fancy, rotate, translate, camera focus, maybe some materials?

Thanks!
Elele
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Thinking of getting the Modo plugin

Postby face_off » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:55 am

face_off Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:55 am
Or is it better to hold of a little with Octane 3 around the corner, or can I upgrade for free?
You will be able to use the test releases of Octane 3 with your Octane 2 license. However I am unsure what the upgrade policy will be once Octane 3 comes out of beta - there might be an upgrade fee.

Does the plugin use the shader tree like Modo, or does it work like the Octane stand alone? Untill now I mostly used Modo to model, but I hoping to change that :)
I find the shader tree in Modo a bit weird.
The plugin reads the materials from the Modo Shader Tree, but you can override any material and set it up as you would in Octane Standalone (with nodes) - and the plugin will convert the Modo material for you in this case as best it can. See the video at http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42581 for details (although the plugin has progressed a lot since that video was made).

Does the animation work? Nothing fancy, rotate, translate, camera focus, maybe some materials?
Yes, everything can be animated, and camera and object motion blur is supported in the plugin. You can also export animations from the plugin to OCS/ORBX to render in Octane Standalone if you need vertex motion blur, although I'm hoping the Modo901 API will support object motion blur in the plugin very soon.

You can also try the demo version of the plugin. I have a Modo901 version of the demo too if you need (PM me for this).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Elele » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Elele Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:38 pm
Thanks for the quick response!

Is there any word when Octane3 will be released, or a time frame for the release?
I can try out the demo in the mean time, I'll send a PM when I am ready :)
Elele
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:46 am

face_off Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:46 am
Is there any word when Octane3 will be released, or a time frame for the release?
You'll need to search these forums for Otoy's comments on release dates. I don't think any firm dates have been given, since Octane 3 contains such a huge amount of functionality.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Foundry Modo