yet another Alembic export question

Forums: yet another Alembic export question
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

yet another Alembic export question

Postby Davve » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:44 am

Davve Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:44 am
Compared to the default abc exporter found in Modo, the export abc command explained in the octane manual generating (my guess)one mesh per frame. And that resulting in a huge file (500 gb in my case) for a 1500 frame animation with one character (hi res mesh though)and takes very long time to export.

The default abc scene exporter in Modo on the other hand, generates a reasonably sized file and all animations imports fine into standalone octane but it loses the uv and the mesh renders black.

I've tried to import that same file into Maya and the uv is there and renders ok.

I must be doing something wrong here, or is it meant to be this way ?

/David
Davve
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: yet another Alembic export question

Postby face_off » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:01 am

face_off Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:01 am
Hi

I never had much success exporting from Modo to anything in ABC format. The plugin seems to work without issue, so that's all I've used. Make sure you export to OCS format, not ORBX format (since if you do that later, the export process will take that 500Gb ABC file and try to pack it into the ORBX).

Are you using a reasonably recent version of the plugin to export to ABC? There were some performance improvement put through a while back.

The exporter will export the subd mesh, so ticking Load Cage of the large meshes prior to exporting show significantly speed up the export. You could also try ticking Octane Subdivision - not sure if that will subdivide prior to exporting, or once it's in Octane Standalone.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: yet another Alembic export question

Postby Davve » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Davve Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm
Thanks Paul for your answer.
Will try out your suggestions and se if they make any difference.'

David
Davve
Licensed Customer