Displacement mapping / Ocean shader

Forums: Displacement mapping / Ocean shader
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Displacement mapping / Ocean shader

Postby Thirdeye » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:58 am

Thirdeye Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:58 am
Hi there,

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create a nice ocean material with displacement maps.

Is it true that I cant use octane procedural noise maps as displacement maps? Also - I cant mix images and use them for displacement. I would like some variation hence the mix of textures.

This is my modo guide for at nice ocean bu somehow it doesn't apply for Octane:

https://community.thefoundry.co.uk/disc ... =8&t=86672

Any help are appreciated!
Thirdeye
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Displacement mapping / Ocean shader

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:13 am

face_off Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:13 am
HI, if you check the link in my signature "Octane Notes" if contains the rules for Displacement Maps, which will answer most of your questions.

The water in the link you have provided is stunning!

Because Octane requires an actual texture map for the displacement map you cannot use procedural textures. Can you bake the Modo procedural texture to a file, and then plugin that into the Displacement pin of the Octane material?

I will take a look at your sample scene tomorrow to have a closer look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:30 am

face_off Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:30 am
EDIT to the above - none of the procedural textures used to generate the waves are accessible to the Octane plugin (since the Modo API does not provide access to the texture bitmaps generated by Modo procedural textures). So you can either bake the texture. Or you can try Bake the Geometry Cache (I am trying at the moment - however the Geometry Bake process is generating a /lot/ of polygons for the water - so it's taking a long time).

Again - spectacular water you have created - I am blown away for how real it is!

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Thirdeye » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:42 am

Thirdeye Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:42 am
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply! The water is quite amazing - I however can't take the credit for it as it's just a scene that was shared on the community.:)

But I can recreate it in Modo - and I was then just wondering how to recreate that in Octane.. I was also trying the texture baking but somehow I couldn't manage to make it work. Fantastic will try it out!
Thirdeye
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Thirdeye » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 am

Thirdeye Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 am
Hi Paul,

Did you find any good solution for the ocean scene?
Thirdeye
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:16 pm

face_off Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:16 pm
Did you find any good solution for the ocean scene?
The best solution seems to be baking the displacement texturemap and then assigning that texturemap to the Displacement pin on the Octane Override for the Water material. Baking the geometry cache seems to crash my PC - so that is not an option. You might as well bake the bump map too - although the Octane Noise node may provide the same effect.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:33 am

face_off Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:33 am
I just tried baking the bump and displacement maps - and they take over 10 mins each on my PC. So not an appealing option.

There are most probably options for procedural bump maps for the water in Octane - however the displacement map MUST be directly sourced from a texturemap (procedural textures are not currently supported). So I think your excellent technique for a procedural ocean in Modo will not translate to Octane. Sorry.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 am

v-cube Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 am
Hello Paul,

I am picking up this thread again, cause I am currently working on a huge project within a harbour, so there is a lot of water involved and with my current bitmap based aproach I see problems emerge like tiling and no possibilities to animate the waves ...
Since over 9 month passed I wonder if there are any plans to improve the situation with displacement mappes being limited to static bitmap images.

Thank you for feedback

best

Andreas

P.S. I am doing this in Rhino at the moment, but I think the problem is probably the same...
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:24 am

face_off Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:24 am
Hi Andreas - Displacement mapping still needs to be sourced directly from an image file (ie. no Octane procedural nodes can be used). If you export from Rhino to OCS, you could use an image sequence as the displacement map in Octane Standalone - perhaps that satisfies your requirement? You can also use the Rhino displacement mapping, which converts to Octane mesh polygons.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 am

v-cube Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 am
thank you for your suggestions Paul, I will give it a try...
best

Andreas

face_off wrote:Hi Andreas - Displacement mapping still needs to be sourced directly from an image file (ie. no Octane procedural nodes can be used). If you export from Rhino to OCS, you could use an image sequence as the displacement map in Octane Standalone - perhaps that satisfies your requirement? You can also use the Rhino displacement mapping, which converts to Octane mesh polygons.

Paul
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo