OctaneRender for Modo (Windows) 1.55 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for Modo (Windows) 1.55 [OBSOLETE]
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Modo Beta 1.53.1 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Thu May 22, 2014 6:22 am

face_off Thu May 22, 2014 6:22 am
Riggles - I have had a good look through the scene you sent me. The pauses are a function of building the ability to make meshes live or not (and visible or not) on the fly, without having to reload the scene. This has resulted in the need for every mesh to have it's own Geometry Group node pin, and your scene has 1500. So when you change a material, the plugin has to update the material and then see which of the 1500 meshes was using that material. That takes time.....

Whilst the ability for dynamically make meshes live or not is a great feature - I think the byproduct of slowing large scenes down so much is too much impact, so I will roll out that change in the next release.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

OctaneRender for Modo Beta 1.53.1 [TEST]

Postby riggles » Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm

riggles Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm
Thanks for checking out the scene Paul. So this dynamic feature would also explain why turning on a mesh in the Item List, while the render was paused, would still cause a long delay? Also, I believe I had the plugin preference checked that makes all new mesh items live by default. Not sure that makes difference.

So, what will be the effects of this change? And any suggestions on how to work with heavier scenes like this on my end?
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lightboy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:03 pm

lightboy Thu May 22, 2014 6:03 pm
Hi Paul
When I do an override on a material I noticed that it creates all the channels with the texture maps except for the specular channel it only creates an rgb value for the channel but does not carry over any spec image maps for that channel.
Windows 10 | 1950x threadripper |64gb Ram | EVGA GTX1080 ti x3 |
Modo 13 64bit
Lightwave 2018
Nvidia driver 419.67
Octane modo plugin version 4.04.0.145
Octane lightwave plugin version 4.04
lightboy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu May 22, 2014 10:43 pm

face_off Thu May 22, 2014 10:43 pm
Thanks for checking out the scene Paul. So this dynamic feature would also explain why turning on a mesh in the Item List, while the render was paused, would still cause a long delay? Also, I believe I had the plugin preference checked that makes all new mesh items live by default. Not sure that makes difference.
Yes - same reason. This will be fixed in the next version where you can choose the meshes which have their own pins (Live Update on) and those which all get loaded into the general scene pin (Live Update off). Then you can fine tune things to a much higher degree. It's a big change to the code though, so I'm still a day or two away from the next release.

So, what will be the effects of this change? And any suggestions on how to work with heavier scenes like this on my end?
I think if you just merge all the mesh items in each of the cars, that would vastly reduce the number of meshes in the scene (I haven't tried it yet though).

When I do an override on a material I noticed that it creates all the channels with the texture maps except for the specular channel it only creates an rgb value for the channel but does not carry over any spec image maps for that channel.
I will look into this.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am

face_off Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am
I just looked at this....at the moment it converts the Specular Color effect texturemap to the Octane material specular pin. I will add the Specular Amount effect texturemap to do the same thing.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue May 27, 2014 12:03 pm

face_off Tue May 27, 2014 12:03 pm
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread with:

- Fixed issue where Environment IBL rotations were not animatable
- Any Shader Tree material group which has a Polygon Tag Type of "Selection Set" will now be ignored (rather than override all materials below it)
- Creating Octane emitters for Modo Area and Photometric light may sets the created geometry to invisible to the Modo renderer
- Fixed minor installer issue which required an uninstall prior to installing a previous version
- Changed the "Delete Unused Nodes" to only delete unconnected Octane nodes, rather than any unconnected Modo change modifier
- Fixed issue were Octane nodes were being misnamed on Modo801
- Fixed issue where the Octane Override for a light was not being correctly selected in the Schematic after creating an emitter on Modo801
- Zooming in Viewport Navigation now no longer changes the rotation point (so should match Modo navigation more closely)
- Changing the visibility of a replicator item will now pop a message saying the Viewport needs to be refreshed in order for the change to be seen
- Replicators now work correctly is their source mesh items are not visible
- Improved the scene loading progress monitor accuracy
- Many performance improvements when checking for live update geometry changes
- Replicators now load correctly when the replicator item property "Use Source Transform" is enabled
- Changing the Mesh item "Live Geometry Update" property now requires a scene refresh to take effect. This resolves a number of performance issues on very large scenes
- Fixed bug when running under Modo801 where dragging an image onto the Schematic was not picking up the filename. This is now working, however the Modo801 root cause is still there.
- Fixed issue where the IES filename was not being picked up when using Create Octane Emitter for a photometric light
- Added button to disable all live geometry updating - use this on scene with a large number of mesh items to stop lag caused by the plugin checking for geometry updates
- The Specular Amount Shader Tree effect texturemaps are now treated in the same way as the Specular Color teturemaps and convert to the Specular pin of the Octane material

This is a very big release, so pls report any issues to me and I will address then ASAP.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby funk » Tue May 27, 2014 1:53 pm

funk Tue May 27, 2014 1:53 pm
Thanks for the updates Paul. I noticed a small bug while quickly testing. In the octane camera panel, "reset settings to default" doesnt do anything.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lightboy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm

lightboy Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm
Hi Paul
Thanks for the update.
Should we use the new version of Octane 1_54 for this?

I Still have a problem with the scene file I sent over to you.
Now the tabletop gets the texture but the legs and apron don't, still render out white.
If i take those materials out of their group ( sidetable.lxl) they render ok.
will try with the newer version of Octane.
Keith
Modo 13 64bit
Lightwave 2018
Nvidia driver 419.67
lightboy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lightboy » Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 pm

lightboy Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 pm
Just tried the new Octane version and it's the same behavior.
My view port navigation is really sensitive in this version very easy to end upside down with very small movements of the mouse.
Keith
Modo 13 64bit
Lightwave 2018
Nvidia driver 419.67
lightboy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 am

face_off Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 am
Should we use the new version of Octane 1_54 for this?
It doesn't matter which version of Standalone you have.

I will update another version shortly - compiled against Octane 1.54.

I Still have a problem with the scene file I sent over to you.
Now the tabletop gets the texture but the legs and apron don't, still render out white.
If i take those materials out of their group ( sidetable.lxl) they render ok.
If you check the Modo Event Log you will see that the legs and apron materials are in a group with a Selection Set - which is ignored by the plugin. So remove that Selection Set from the material group and it works.

EDIT: Change the selection set to an Item = Sidetable. You will need to refresh the Octane Viewport after doing this, because the polygon tags for the geometry will have changed.

My view port navigation is really sensitive in this version very easy to end upside down with very small movements of the mouse.
Is it pan, zoom or rotate which is too sensitive?

I noticed a small bug while quickly testing. In the octane camera panel, "reset settings to default" doesnt do anything.
Fixed in the next release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo