While we're waiting for the plugin...

Forums: While we're waiting for the plugin...
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

While we're waiting for the plugin...

Postby timbarnes » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:57 pm

timbarnes Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:57 pm
Could any of the modonauts out there post their guidelines for getting good .obj files out of modo? I've not had much luck.

Some of the issues I've encountered:

Full pathnames include spaces if using modo's built-in content on both Mac and Windows
    It seems that you can only have one material per mesh: is that right?
    Is there a way to make the .obj files portable between Mac and PC? It requires packaging the images and only using relative pathnames, I think.
    Other things?

I guess there are indirect methods: e.g. modo > Collada > meshLab > .obj > Octane.
For ArchiCAD I've found ArchiCAD > .3ds > meshLab > .obj > Octane seems to work except that the axes are rotated.

I've seen some great images rendered in Octane from modo: some input on workflow best practices would be really helpful.

Thanks,
tim
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: While we're waiting for the plugin...

Postby gmod » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm

gmod Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 pm
Many Thank , I'll try. "
gmod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bazze » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 pm

bazze Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 pm
timbarnes wrote:Could any of the modonauts out there post their guidelines for getting good .obj files out of modo? I've not had much luck.

I guess there are indirect methods: e.g. modo > Collada > meshLab > .obj > Octane.

Thanks,
tim

???

I export obj straight from modo and haven't encountered many problems. I just make sure that all polygons are UV-mapped and that multiple UV-sets are not used.
bazze
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timbarnes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 am

timbarnes Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 am
I export obj straight from modo and haven't encountered many problems. I just make sure that all polygons are UV-mapped and that multiple UV-sets are not used.

I use a number of the meshes provided with modo: they seem to organize materials in a way that doesn't export well. Also I am not sure how to make sure all polygons are UV-mapped. Does it just mean that materials are applied to all the polygons? Or is there more that I must do?

Thanks,
tim
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby El Burritoh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 am

El Burritoh Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 am
Can't comment on all of that yet for lack of experience but...

I have had multiple materials per mesh. When the mesh comes into Octane those materials are all reset to a standard white, but they are all there. I can click on different parts of the mesh and get different materials. So no, the colors don't carry over, but the polygon tags do, which is the important part.
El Burritoh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bazze » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:06 pm

bazze Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:06 pm
timbarnes wrote:I use a number of the meshes provided with modo: they seem to organize materials in a way that doesn't export well. Also I am not sure how to make sure all polygons are UV-mapped. Does it just mean that materials are applied to all the polygons? Or is there more that I must do?

Thanks,
tim

Hi,
No just applying a material wont do.

You can check if all polys are UV-mapped by opening the UV-viewport and selecting all the polys in the UV-viewport. Then check if all polys are selected in the 3d-viewport too. If not then some are not mapped.

I only do this if there's a problem with the textures when I load the model in Octane. Usually I set up all the materials/textures and just export as obj. The mtl file that also is generated tells Octane which textures etc should be used so I don't have to apply those again.
bazze
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timbarnes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 am

timbarnes Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 am
No just applying a material wont do.

You can check if all polys are UV-mapped by opening the UV-viewport and selecting all the polys in the UV-viewport. Then check if all polys are selected in the 3d-viewport too. If not then some are not mapped.

I only do this if there's a problem with the textures when I load the model in Octane. Usually I set up all the materials/textures and just export as obj. The mtl file that also is generated tells Octane which textures etc should be used so I don't have to apply those again.

Thanks, bazze.

Are you mostly creating your own textures, or do you use the materials in the modo content library? I believe that the .obj format expects textures to be in the same folder as the .mtl file (although modo outputs full path names). Some of the problems with finding textures seem to be related to Octane not working with pathnames that have spaces in them.

It would be best if modo would copy textures into the same folder as the .mtl file (i.e. the folder you're exporting to) and then the pathname would be just the filename. That would also make the .obj files portable across platforms and computers with different installation paths, which would be really helpful. But I guess that's a feature request and one that might not get high priority...
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timbarnes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:58 am

timbarnes Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:58 am
El Burritoh wrote:Can't comment on all of that yet for lack of experience but...

I have had multiple materials per mesh. When the mesh comes into Octane those materials are all reset to a standard white, but they are all there. I can click on different parts of the mesh and get different materials. So no, the colors don't carry over, but the polygon tags do, which is the important part.

That makes sense. I have the same thing happen when I import from ArchiCAD direct to modo. The textures are lost, but the tags are not. I tend to manually go through and separate the materials into their own mesh layers, which helps modo performance and also makes editing easier.

But having done some level of work on materials (especially using modo's built-in textures) it would be nice to be able to reliably transfer them into Octane. As I get time to do more experiments I'll publish the results.

t
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby El Burritoh » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:16 am

El Burritoh Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:16 am
Yeah who knows. Maybe Frederik's plug-in will do this!
El Burritoh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MYLESmontgomery » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am

MYLESmontgomery Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am
Tim,

It may help to run the collect script that is readily available on the luxology forum to collect all the textures and copy them to a selected folder, then export your obj to that same folder.

Hope this helps.

Myles
Win 7 64bit | Quadro FX 4800 | E5620 Intel Xeon Octo 2.4GHz | 8GB Ram | Microstation Modo Max |
MYLESmontgomery
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Foundry Modo