Octane lag after completing a region render

Forums: Octane lag after completing a region render
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane lag after completing a region render

Postby Dingbat » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:19 am

Dingbat Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:19 am
i've noticed that if i do a region render and the render completes (in my case with denoising), when i try to restart the render by pressing play again, changing something etc, Octane is unresponsive and laggy and when the render does get going again it's way slower than before (10x slower or worse)

i have to stop/start/reload the render to respond again but this wastes a lot of time as it takes a while for the scene to reload

if i make changes before the render completes (even if doing a region render) everything works as normal

of course i need to complete the render to get the denoised image

hope that makes sense
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane lag after completing a region render

Postby face_off » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:00 am

face_off Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:00 am
Hi - I wasn't able to reproduce this issue, although I am no certain the exact workflow you are using. I didn't think a region render ever finished - it just keeps going. Is Imager->Denoise on Completion enabled? If the region render never completes, then denoising wouldn't happen is Denoise on Completion was ticked. Could you post a video showing what it happening please?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Octane lag after completing a region render

Postby Dingbat » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:47 pm

Dingbat Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:47 pm
thanks Paul

it's quote random so unfortunately there's no single thing i can point to that is the definite issue

however i will say that AFAICT when doing a region render in MODO when the render completes it usually stops (i used the Standalone a couple of times and i think it carries on there?). sometimes though it gets stuck and becomes more erratic or, worst case, unstable

i'm not sure but it might be something to do with the issue that Funk pointed out that a 3d window must be visible in the layout for the model to be correctly updated

have been doing region renders today with 3d window visible and so far so good - render is stopping when specified samples reached, and render restarting as expected when i change something

will update if something changes
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo