OSL Octane and Modo

Forums: OSL Octane and Modo
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

OSL Octane and Modo

Postby Mr_Uzu » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:32 pm

Mr_Uzu Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:32 pm
Question as I'm thinking about diving more into topic of OSL but i'm a bit puzzled by information in the docs about OSL.

What i'm pursuing is taking particle positions (exact not some random stuff) and use it for texture replication.
I'm super green but this is the topic. Is is possible technically or OSL and Octane (following information from docs about pointclouds) doesn't really allow stuff like this?
Cheers,
Mat
Mr_Uzu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OSL Octane and Modo

Postby jobigoud » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:36 am

jobigoud Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:36 am
(Not a Modo user, answer is based on standalone, hopefully this translates well)
There is no utility texture that will directly give you the particle position but if you can store it in a color vertex attribute, then in shading you can use a "Color vertex attribute" texture to get the position back and use it to drive your OSL texture.
What you can get directly is the shading point position, that is the point on the surface of the particle where the ray hit, this will be different for every point on the particle itself though so it depends on what you want to do.
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Foundry Modo