Rendering animation almost impossible

Forums: Rendering animation almost impossible
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Rendering animation almost impossible

Postby Sarford » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 am

Sarford Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 am
Hi guys,

I'm trying to render an animation with Octane for Modo on OSX but it is nearly impossible. I've tried several times now and only one time have I succeeded.

The problem is that after rendering the first frame Octane just waits. It is only after I move the mouse that it will update and start rendering the next frame. During rendering of an animation, Octane won't update the stats on the Render Setup window. Only when I move the mouse during rendering will it update the stats, but when I stop moving the mouse, Octane keeps on rendering the current frame, but stops updating the stats.

When I start the animation rendering, the Viewport Control window will be in focus, but even bringing the Viewport itself or the Render Setup window in focus doesn't help. After rendering the frame Octane waits till I move the mouse. Octane doesn't wait after the first frame alone, it will wait after every frame. My scene only uses about 500 Mb of an available 2 Gb, the max samples is 1500.

I've closed and re-opened Modo, I've restarted my machine, I have only Modo running, it doesn't help, Octane still waits after every frame.
I've tried rendering an animation with the log window open to see if that might give a direction to a solution, but the log window only showed the version number, it didn't log anything.

The specs:
Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 core Xeon
32 Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 680 2Gb
OSX 10.9.2
Modo 701 SP5
Octane version 1.52.0.57

Please help, rendering animations becomes nearly impossible this way.
Mac Pro dual Intel quad core 2.8 Ghz, 10Gb ram, Geforce Quadro 4000
Windows Visa Home 64 bit (bootcamp)
Sarford
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rendering animation almost impossible

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:14 pm

face_off Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:14 pm
Yes - this has been discussed in http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38806&start=40. I have coded a workaround which should be uploaded in the next 5 mins. Would appreciate you giving it a run.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sarford » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Sarford Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 pm
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the quick fix, and even on a sunday!! Wonderfull!
Sadly I didn't see your reply till just now. I did in the end get Octane to render animations, though it was a bit of dark arts. If I saved an OCS file with Octane rendering the first frame, and after saving made sure my mouse pointer was on one of the buttons of the Viewport Controls, then Octane would continue rendering the animation and updating the stats.

I'm eager check out your fix as quickly as possible, but it won't be before Wednesday I'm afraid, I hope that is ok with you.

Much obliged,
Simon

ps: Just a little bug I found: When saving to EXR's for animation, Octane will write them with the extention .png instead of .exr Both for tone mapped and normal EXR's.
On the matter of bug's, where do we report them, is there a bug tracker system or do we just post them here on the forum?
Sarford
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:13 pm

face_off Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:13 pm
If I saved an OCS file with Octane rendering the first frame, and after saving made sure my mouse pointer was on one of the buttons of the Viewport Controls, then Octane would continue rendering the animation and updating the stats.
Yes, I also found you could trick Modo into thinking the user was accessing the UI by highlighting a button. But the new version of the plugin should remove the need to do that.

ps: Just a little bug I found: When saving to EXR's for animation, Octane will write them with the extention .png instead of .exr Both for tone mapped and normal EXR's.
Fixed in the next release.

On the matter of bug's, where do we report them, is there a bug tracker system or do we just post them here on the forum?

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38806

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sarford » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Sarford Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 pm
Hey Paul,

Been happily rendering animations this weekend. Your fix works like a charm!
Thank man!

Cheers, Simon
Sarford
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Foundry Modo