OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1

Forums: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1 [current 2024.1]

Postby Jani » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:03 am

Jani Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:03 am
aoktar wrote:
Jani wrote:Hi, thanks for the great update.

I don't want to ask a thousands times repeated question, and without any malice, what is causing the last part of Brigade (the RT denoiser) to be delayed so long? - I saw Jules respond to this on FB some time ago that they were trying to get it working in C4D with Maxon, and already have it working in UE5. But really, if it's at a stage of plugin implementation, why can't we have a peek on how it runs in standalone?

- Is it an octane core level issue, where some fundamental core changes still need to take place, or is it more a case of let's wait until we're sure DCC's would have been able to implement the piping necessary to have the RT feedback in the DCCs.

And now that we're at DCCs, I'm primarily a 3Ds Max user, so I suppose my primary question is - is this something that requires host DCCs' own dev team to implement (like in the case of C4D), or can we expect plugin devs to handle this? - I am asking as the 'lighting bolt' icon has been available to octane standalone for quite some time, but I haven't yet seen a DCC other than UE have this feature implemented.

A kind thank you in advance for answering these questions.

Kind regards,

Jani

If we talk about real-time rendering, which a kind of surface sharing at GPU level. It provides low lags on displays. We need some C4D core functionality to use it at plugin, but it seems like missing. Which is related Maxon/C4D SDK.

Thank you Aoktar for answering this for me. So what I'm going to deduce from this is that indeed there is some need for a host DCC dev team to implement this 'GPU surface sharing'.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long term, as Unreal with it's entourage into 3D modelling by the implementation of modelling tools might very well start chipping into 3D modelling apps market. Thinking about it now, I can definitely visualise a future workflow of 3DS Max with live-link to Unreal with something like Brigade as a render engine would be very powerful if integrated well enough.

Jani
i9 9920X, 64GB, RTX 2080Ti
Ryzen 1800x, 64GB, 2x RTX 3090
Jani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby northalex78 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 pm

northalex78 Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 pm
Can anyone tell me when this moves from alpha to full commercial release?
Mojave told me in another thread that 2024.1 was coming out this year.
northalex78
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:27 pm

elsksa Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:27 pm
northalex78 wrote:Can anyone tell me when this moves from alpha to full commercial release?

Years of software development in human history and this question is still recurrent. Even when disclosed, it should be taken with a grain of salt. The ultimate answer is and remains: when it's ready.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:45 pm

frankmci Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:45 pm
elsksa wrote:
northalex78 wrote:Can anyone tell me when this moves from alpha to full commercial release?

Years of software development in human history and this question is still recurrent. Even when disclosed, it should be taken with a grain of salt. The ultimate answer is and remains: when it's ready.

Acceptance of this Eternal Truth is the path to Peace.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pxlntwrk » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:26 pm

pxlntwrk Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:26 pm
:D

These version numberings mean nothing apart from the change in commercial season.
A reminder to tell you that the subscription collection is starting.
And to mitigate a little the very fair words of @elsksa, you can also influence this notion of time to a certain extent by allocating the necessary resources to manage to submit "your work on time" or to remain consistent with what you promote.
In general, clear and honest communication is enough.
This is what generally happens in a professional environment with a minimum of ethics bla blablala blabla....
I have a lot of respect for all the devs (@abstrax, @Mojave...) who improve and maintain this awesome rendering engine, with a special thought for the developer of the Cinema4d plugin @aoktar and @bepeg4d of course.
Happy Octane user on Windows :lol: for over 10 years now,
I really struggle to trust Otoy as a customer...
:::::::::::::::::
pxlntwrk.net
pxlntwrk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby northalex78 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:27 am

northalex78 Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:27 am
Wow that somehow became a philosophical question about acceptance and time as a closed circle. Or something.

Would love to hear from Devs though, when is this alpha moving to a full release?
What I don't understand is resources still going into 2023.1 moving it to 2023.1.1 when we have 2024. Should that one be all hands on deck?
northalex78
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:11 pm

elsksa Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:11 pm
northalex78 wrote:Would love to hear from Devs though, when is this alpha moving to a full release?

While I do not respond on behalf of devs, it would be fair to presume nobody knows the precise date, not even devs. An estimation, perhaps. This is valid to any company even outside the software dev industry.

Whenever it is at a state of being "ready". Ad nauseam. Ready does not mean finalized or bug-free, but check the conventional boxes, is stable/has been tested enough.

The communication is certainly an aspect subject to improvements.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:09 pm

frankmci Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:09 pm
northalex78 wrote:Wow that somehow became a philosophical question about acceptance and time as a closed circle. Or something.

Would love to hear from Devs though, when is this alpha moving to a full release?
What I don't understand is resources still going into 2023.1 moving it to 2023.1.1 when we have 2024. Should that one be all hands on deck?

As I (not an Otoy dev or employee) understand it, the n.n.x releases are primarily bug fixes for significant issues. It's only n.x releases that have significant changes to features. As such, since 2023.1 is in wide spread use, it makes sense to keep trouble shooting it for a reasonable amount of time. That does not mean that 2023 is getting the kind of attention from the devs that the next N.X release is. Beppe & Co. have said publicly that 2023.1.x is not getting any major updates. There will be no 2023.2. All the significant features and modifications that were to be labeled 2023.2 have been rolled over into 2024.X.

Based on previous history, I expect two or three Beta versions of 2024.1 before an official, stable release. I'm only guessing that it might be in the late winter, early spring time frame. But that's just speculation. It Ships When It's Ready.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1

Postby john_otoy » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:35 am

john_otoy Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:35 am
OctaneRender 2024.1 Alpha 2 has been released: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=82826
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby northalex78 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:38 am

northalex78 Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:38 am
frankmci wrote:
northalex78 wrote:Wow that somehow became a philosophical question about acceptance and time as a closed circle. Or something.

As I (not an Otoy dev or employee) understand it, the n.n.x releases are primarily bug fixes for significant issues. It's only n.x releases that have significant changes to features. As such, since 2023.1 is in wide spread use, it makes sense to keep trouble shooting it for a reasonable amount of time. That does not mean that 2023 is getting the kind of attention from the devs that the next N.X release is. Beppe & Co. have said publicly that 2023.1.x is not getting any major updates. There will be no 2023.2. All the significant features and modifications that were to be labeled 2023.2 have been rolled over into 2024.X.

Based on previous history, I expect two or three Beta versions of 2024.1 before an official, stable release. I'm only guessing that it might be in the late winter, early spring time frame. But that's just speculation. It Ships When It's Ready.

Frank, every time I ask this question you pop in defending everyone. Just butt out, dude. I'm not asking you, and I don't care what you think, and you're not adding anything to the discussing by coming in each time saying "hey everyone, it's ready when it's ready".

In any case, I have seen via socials that they have indeed now released another 2024 version. Thanks to Otoy people (not randoms who are not employees, "Frank") for working on this.
northalex78
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases