OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1

Forums: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1 [current 2024.1]

Postby elsksa » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:05 pm

elsksa Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:05 pm
northalex78 wrote:Frank, every time I ask this question you pop in defending everyone. Just butt out, dude. I'm not asking you, and I don't care what you think, and you're not adding anything to the discussing by coming in each time saying "hey everyone, it's ready when it's ready".

In any case, I have seen via socials that they have indeed now released another 2024 version. Thanks to Otoy people (not randoms who are not employees, "Frank") for working on this.

Count me in as well.

It's factually and undoubtedly true. If Frank doesn't reply, don't expect devs to. Rare are the times they do, as it should be expected. This applies to every software company. What not to ask to devs is the infamous "when". One has to keep in mind they are human, are under pressure (target release date, customer/community, work hours and OT, personal matters, etc.), have both technical issues to solve as well as features to both design and implement, on the core engine and plugins (team work, back and forth between depts/collegues) and the list goes on and on.

History repeats itself.

Frank has only been helpful during his forum presence. Being condescending will lead to nowhere but negativity.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1

Postby northalex78 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:10 am

northalex78 Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:10 am
Hard disagree. People piping in when not asked, with nothing to say or contribute other than "it's ready when it's ready, the sky is blue, water is wet" isn't helpful. May as well say nothing at all than state the obvious, it's not a contribution at all. Maybe he is helpful with other questions, but here it's not helpful at all.

Devs do reply, because as I pointed out, in other posts they had explicitly stated to me that 2024.1 would be out this year. So I asked if what they said was still the case. "Infamous when"? Don't think so, I'm not idly popping up to scream "wen, wen, wen", I'm following up on something they've already said to me.

And I am happy to have seen further progress on 2024.

But lack of "official" reply isn't an invitation for others to jump in and try to reinforce to everyone that Otoy should be in no way accountable to things they've said themselves.

Merry Christmas.
northalex78
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1

Postby elsksa » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:16 pm

elsksa Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:16 pm
northalex78 wrote:Hard disagree. People piping in when not asked, with nothing to say or contribute other than "it's ready when it's ready, the sky is blue, water is wet" isn't helpful.

I'll presume many can't face with the undeniable truth. Becoming a developer would be eye opening to some people.

northalex78 wrote:Devs do reply, because as I pointed out, in other posts they had explicitly stated to me that 2024.1 would be out this year. So I asked if what they said was still the case.

As said in the past, software development can change course at any time.
What a company representative may reply somewhere would usually have to be taken with a grain of salt.

northalex78 wrote:"Infamous when"? Don't think so, I'm not idly popping up to scream "wen, wen, wen", I'm following up on something they've already said to me.

From a different perspective, it is experienced when the sum of all messages asked once, per user, from several platforms.

I still strongly believe many are oblivious of what devs/a company have to face at a large user scale. I haven't even mentioned inappropriate behaviors in customer support.

Being more cognizant and compassionate is truly supportive and positively contributes to the development.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender® 2024.1 Alpha 1 [current 2024.1]

Postby frankmci » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:06 am

frankmci Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:06 am
northalex78 wrote:Frank, every time I ask this question you pop in defending everyone. Just butt out, dude. I'm not asking you, and I don't care what you think, and you're not adding anything to the discussing by coming in each time saying "hey everyone, it's ready when it's ready".

In any case, I have seen via socials that they have indeed now released another 2024 version. Thanks to Otoy people (not randoms who are not employees, "Frank") for working on this.

The fact remains that there is a constant influx of people new to these tools and to forums like this one who don't know the reality of most production software development and release cycles in this bleeding-edge industry. People get very worked up over it, and the issue seems to cause them great frustration and anxiety. I try to share this reality with folks who may not understand that this is a decades old issue, and the fact that it is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future. If it helps even one person sleep a little better or be a bit less grumpy with their coworkers, friends and family, then it is well worth my time.

I will continue to do so, but you are certainly free to ignore me.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases